Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 - Used asking prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

£3500 for a used amplifier sounds like a fortune to me, then i checked the new price....are they serious? Found one at £6500,another at £5600,then £4995. A lot of variations on price. Ermm

It has a three phase, bi phase and single phase autoranging mains distribution unit inside each of them plus Dante and world class DSP and networking, not to mention four channels of 170v peak output. It’s also modular and magnetically held internally and the main parts can be hotswapped in a few minutes with only a few bolts to undo.

So yes the list price of £6500 is appropriate. The XTA APA is two grand more. This is touring pro kit and adjusted for inflation etc it’s not dissimilar to the list prices for the flagship amps of their time.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 8:36am
multi phase operation is very flexible and useful idea!
good DSP could be also handy.

However the most important "the amplifier part" is not so good.. Limited only not so heavy applications, the power supply on strong 3X 400V operated is very weak capacity even for a half of size amp(!)
Unfortunately the X4 can not deliver even the fraction of continuous power of the K series.

Despite the hype, based on our testing I do not think that the X4 would be a good amp.
It is way  overpriced too if you see its real capabilities.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 8:57am
I was waiting for this reply LOL
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Powersoft says X4 is a 20.000Watts amp
-- with a 2000Watts power supply :-D

( We have measured less than 500W per channel in long term.. )
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 9:38am
But once again what I read from many user experiences is that it delivers in the field, and as far as I know it's designed for that. 
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 9:42am
I will not comment on that right now til we’ve done our own tests , lots on test here from the early 2000’s have been one sided, coming from you Victor, you’ve talked about Pn’ amps that we still haven’t seen up til today , so banging others products down , makes me wonder your stand on this . Almost 20years ago when I first laid my hands on the first Powersoft we had , everyone was like buy amps from Uk now about 50% of Sp have Powersoft. Lab couldn’t do bass yet over half the pro companies use them , DIY dis’ them , funny No ?
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 9:52am
Real data may not be disputed, but it does live up to it's promotional tag line: 

THE AMPLIFIER PLATFORM THAT REDEFINES POWER AMPLIFICATION

I said it before, it does do an impressive job, despite the actual power ratings, and if it's reliable and hard working on the road... good business. 

However for me the worst factor is that it's mono syllabic when it comes to musicality/dynamic. 

If the music getting made is lower and lower in quality/production, then amplifiers appear to be tailoring to it, why make the effort..? 

Modern times are about presenting content... the actual content doesn't have to be questioned as long as it convinces.. it an amp of our times..! 
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

I'm fairly convinced that the X series has a nicer tone than the K series on sub, though I could be imagining things

Have to agree, X4/X8 sound as good on sub, as best transformer amps I've heard.

K20 sub tone changes,  with 6x+ cabs, and sub heavy material.
Still very loud, but not warmth of X series. However still suitable for 90% of smaller outfits, I would say.

So X series improved power supply, is proven.

Edited by levyte357- - 25 December 2018 at 10:50am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 10:56am
You could have an X8 Dante for £5000 if you wanted...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Powersoft says X4 is a 20.000Watts amp
-- with a 2000Watts power supply :-D

( We have measured less than 500W per channel in long term.. )

I’ll take 500w real world watts that I can buy over a million mythical Hungarian ones

Anyway, 500w long term is enough to burn any speaker so?

How about we look at the voltage swing and the fact it recharges stupidly fast? So in reality, it’s perfectly fine for the vast majority of shows as proven by the fact it’s out there, doing said shows. Even reggae and dub, where big Soundsystems who demand serious performance are smashing venues with them? Or are you saying Mungo’s, Iration etc don’t know what bass is and you do?

Edited by toastyghost - 25 December 2018 at 2:45pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 6:08pm
I did not say that Powersoft X4 would be useless. There are many type of works where it could perform well, low duty cycle jobs with carefully aligned (split in freq. range) across channels.

However when we have tested in live environment such as driving each channel on 4 or 2.6R loads, in full range or lows with dense music it just simply deliver -3.. -5dB less than two of 'dedicated' 10K amp, either from Powersoft or others.
There was a clear indication of collapsing rails caused loss of headroom and some compression.
It would not be a problem UNTIL you do not reach the continuous power envelope, but the X4 has stellar difference between peak vs. continuous therefore it is not very difficult to reach that situation when the output quality, headroom will suffer. Of course there are various type of speakers with very different amping requirements, I am sure that there are many who happy with X4 while for others it is simply too small.
I am a bit just dissapointed because the true three phase 400V operation could have a huge potential to make a very good performing amp, but apparently the X series has not reached this goal.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 9:20pm
Yet here we are, doing high duty cycle shows with incredible feedback from punters, artists and promoters alike. So much so that many artists who own their own rigs have bought said amp.

Maybe speakers don’t behave like a dummy load?

Edited by toastyghost - 25 December 2018 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>