Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - compatibility between stereo and active subwoofer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

compatibility between stereo and active subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sverre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compatibility between stereo and active subwoofer
    Posted: 24 December 2018 at 10:43pm
i have a pair of genelec 6010a and I was wondering if I could connect them to the gxt 38. The gxt satellites are passive I think because they don't have a amplifier (please correct me if I'm wrong). But the genelec are active (powered). So my question is can you connect the genelec to the gxt subwoofer without the genelecs getting destroyed. Thanks;)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Sverre Sverre wrote:

i have a pair of genelec 6010a and I was wondering if I could connect them to the gxt 38. The gxt satellites are passive I think

Can you provide  link to the GXT38? The only thing I find in a search is an active multimedia speaker system
Sverre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sverre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 7:50am
yes  http://https://www.trust.com/en/product/19023-gxt-38-tytan-2-1-ultimate-bass-speaker-set - http://https://www.trust.com/en/product/19023-gxt-38-tytan-2-1-ultimate-bass-speaker-set
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 7:40pm
your link doesnt work - take it you mean this

you could put a voltage divider network between the powered outs and the active genelecs to drop the output down from (at a guess c10v) to about 1v 

a 100ohm resistor in series with a 10 ohm tapped between them should do it

LOUDER THAN LOUD
Sverre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sverre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2018 at 8:52pm
i found something cald a line adapter. It converts 120 ohm to 200ohms. I'm a newbie. Really bad one, but. The voltage from the gxt subwoofer to the satellites are 10 V average. But I want a much lower voltage, 1v. So do i need a line adapter from 100 to 1000 ohms. And why can't they be connected if they have the same amount of impendance? Please tell me if I am talking nonsense. 
Thanks

http://https://www.monacor.dk/produkter/auto-hi-fi/vnr/066360/ - Link to the line adapter
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 3:52pm
It looks like the sub has RCA line outs, have you tried simply connecting the genelec speakers there?
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

It looks like the sub has RCA line outs, have you tried simply connecting the genelec speakers there?

the rcas look as if theyre the power amp outs - I dont think there are seperate line outs
LOUDER THAN LOUD
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 3:38pm
The "Phono" outs claim to be 10W (PMPO) to drive the (passive) satellites. So potentially way to high a voltage to drive the Genelecs direct. You can get (nasty) car bodgits, which convert phono-plug-less head units to external car amps - so a speaker level in x2 with phono out x 2 - usually a transformer/DI box type action, with some form of attenuator pot for each output.

Also the Genelecs are balanced line input (XLR) so nice to keep everything balanced if you can - phono are so hifi

I presume the Genelec 6010a, being Genelec, are good. That sub is "cheap" and aimed at people who put multicolor fans in their PCs "because it makes their games run faster". I would go with a Genelec sub to match up.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 12:32am
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

The "Phono" outs claim to be 10W (PMPO) to drive the (passive) satellites.

I got the impression from reading the limited documentation that the included satellites were hard wired to the sub. I could be totally wrong of course.
Sverre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sverre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 1:38pm
Guys i got the genelecs for free, and my pc is multicolored ;)
I also want to buy a genelec sub for my setup but my money is short, so i was looking at a cheap option. Because the genelec are really (really) good at the highs but is missing out at the lows. ps. the included sattelites are not hardwired to the sub, thats why it is so confusing

but thanks for all the answers i think i will save somee money for a genelec sub :)
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 1:56pm
I'd say you can connect them directly without anything.

Your sub has a volume control for tops, so cut that back to 0 to begin with. then put Genelecs to max and start slowly adding levels to them from your sub until it is loud enough.

Input impedance for Genelec is 10kohm. That puny "10W" amplifier on that sub isn't ever going to produce enough juice to drive that load into distortion.

Post Reply Post Reply