Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21” Tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21” Tapped horn
    Posted: 29 December 2018 at 9:22am
so I want to play around with them abit see if I can get one that will fit under my 215martins  , is there anyone apart from Toasty using tapped horns here ? Santa passed by me over Christmas and left these under the tree 

Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 9:31am
Hi
Give a look at diyaudio subwoofer forum, there is a thread about "30Hz tapped horn" that contains 21 inch designs and ideas.
The Othorn is the 21 tapped horn I d like to hear... And danley 221.

Ps we use 18 inch th118 tapped horns.

Edited by Jo bg - 29 December 2018 at 9:33am
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

Hi
Give a look at diyaudio subwoofer forum, there is a thread about "30Hz tapped horn" that contains 21 inch designs and ideas.
Am over there already been reading alot over the last few months, I got Josh’s Othorn on the table as we speak, I like a balanced setup so the cab should be about 950mm deep or more cause the martin’s are like 930mm , I don’t like the kicks sticking out over the subs , lots of the designs, on there have maybe wrong size for me or don’t go low . Our Br’s which is my design do 25hz so I want to stay down there , Danley most too much , I don’t copy stuff from pro companies, unless they are 20years old and I get a thumbs up, from designers. I got a drawing or two of my own, so I needed abit of inspiration. That’s all , i’ve Heard the Danley 18” , sounded very clean and low kind of sound you fall in love with. If you get what I mean . 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

so I want to play around with them abit see if I can get one that will fit under my 215martins  , is there anyone apart from Toasty using tapped horns here ? Santa passed by me over Christmas and left these under the tree 

Lucky you...I want your SantaWink
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 12:03pm
Hi Francis 🙂

Why did you choose 21SW152 over 21DS115?
I am on a project also 😂
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 12:40pm
You are going to need quite a bit of front chamber volume for the 21sw152, more than othorn etc. which are designed for ultra low qes chassis. I'm running my own 18" Tapped horns "tuned" to 28Hz, 90x60x90 cm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

You are going to need quite a bit of front chamber volume for the 21sw152, more than othorn etc. which are designed for ultra low qes chassis. I'm running my own 18" Tapped horns "tuned" to 28Hz, 90x60x90 cm
A mate of mine has done this one of which I could do a 221 of or start fresh on a new one this one does 27hz and is a 4ohm driver not 8ohm like i’ve gotten, bu the cab will be 1430mm*1070*630mm around 170kg , so i’ve Got an idea about chamber size and stuff , how’s your cab loaded ?
 FOO it’s cause I got a br design for it too so it’s like killing two birds with one stone plan . 
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 2:57pm
mine is loaded with 18NLW9601 and has about 60l of frontchamber. yours will need even more.
Im just pointing this out because TH118, Othorn and the likes have pretty much no frontchamber volume but my experience with simulating A LOT of different THs and drivers suggests the higher qes the bigger vtc needs to be in order to flatten response above quarter wave resonance. this correlates well with ported enclosure theory.
IvCu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvCu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

Hi
Am over there already been reading alot over the last few months, I got Josh’s Othorn on the table as we speak, I like a balanced setup so the cab should be about 950mm deep or more cause the martin’s are like 930mm , I don’t like the kicks sticking out over the subs , lots of the designs, on there have maybe wrong size for me or don’t go low . Our Br’s which is my design do 25hz so I want to stay down there , Danley most too much , I don’t copy stuff from pro companies, unless they are 20years old and I get a thumbs up, from designers. I got a drawing or two of my own, so I needed abit of inspiration. That’s all , i’ve Heard the Danley 18” , sounded very clean and low kind of sound you fall in love with. If you get what I mean . 

hi Father-Francis, 

I'm running othorn + martin215mk3 combo for some time already, send me a pm if interested 

they fit really well! 

Cheers Ivan 

Edited by IvCu - 30 December 2018 at 8:24am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 12:04pm
Ivan the first picture is nice , the next next three are even better , you build sure cabs too ? I know that’s bit more analog, better are than the Powersoft digital amps 
IvCu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvCu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 3:18pm
Thanks and hmm not sure what you are referring to, I just see some random ads around photo 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 7:57pm
I was half asleep writing that, what I wanted ask how do they sound together and do them Othorn sound ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>