Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Socapex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Socapex
    Posted: 02 January 2019 at 12:38pm
where’s the best place to buy them , need lots of it and mainly 419 if possible 
Thanks in advance 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:08am
We’ve got a bunch of Sommer’s Hi-Con SOCAPEX and it’s been fine for years of regular use.
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 8:53pm
How many do you need & what is your timescale. I could do you a quote to build them for you.
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 9:12pm
No not at all, every lighting company I know has used them for the last thirty plus years. Even with LED is the only sensible way to get electrics on to trusses without needing a distro
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by haymere haymere wrote:

No not at all, every lighting company I know has used them for the last thirty plus years. Even with LED is the only sensible way to get electrics on to trusses without needing a distro

Iirc a theater light set controller at my school used one.. I could remember wrong though. The only time I've seen/heard them used outside the army.

Very robust exterior.. very fragile connector pins on the inside. Thick cable, must be a nightmare to service. We had ours usually colour coded with spots to mark the correct alignment. They require a fair amount of power to push together which could damage the pins, I think the insulator is plastic or bakelite; sort of like a field version of COM.

I thought many would use DMX or something for lights.

If you don't know, why don't you ask? Would be far better way to learn something.

Socapex is for power distribution

DMX is a control signal, low voltage.

= Why would DMX use socapex?

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 10:55pm
Well, despite this opening yet another efinque can of worms... socapex is used for many line array speaker distribution systems now, with fan outs to CA-COM, NL8, etc. But maybe it’s better to say it’s for ‘high voltage’ systems.

And they’re only fragile pins if you’re a fat handed lazy tw*t who can’t make the locating pin mate. In which case, I feel sorry for your girlfriend...

Edited by toastyghost - 04 January 2019 at 10:56pm
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

And they’re only fragile pins if you’re a fat handed lazy tw*t who can’t make the locating pin mate. In which case, I feel sorry for your girlfriend...

Now you are assuming that there is a girlfriend...
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Now you are assuming that there is a girlfriend...
Don’t think there’s a girlfriend, man just a "I like to play with myself", he should get a new hobby, maybe fixing microwaves 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 6:01pm

I thought they were mainly for military use?

yeah as Kyle says they're used all the time when you need a multicore cable that is running "power" level signals rather than normal mic/line/signal level multi's.

So running multiple power feeds up to lighting bar/truss obviously, running many channels of amplified signal up to line array hangs or to banks of subwoofers, running a big bunch of monitor feeds to a particular side or area of stage.

As said, usually run on socapex and then a set of tails or breakout box on the end will turn it back into whatever connection is needed: powercon, 16a, NL4, NL8 etc. 

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 05 January 2019 at 6:01pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 6:14pm

I thought they were mainly for military use?

EDIT : I just googled it (also known as Amphenol), we used those in army radios.. any sand etc in the grooves and they won't screw in, especially in the dark. Helps if you moisten the O-ring.

EDIT 2 : sorry, I'm not really helping.. but army could in some instances sell their surplus, or if you know someone from the inside.
You were in the army? You had a gun?
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 8:34pm
I love Socapex!
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 3:47pm
Hey elfinque:

Socapex is a French connector manufacturer who make a wide range of products, many of which have direct equivalents made by other suppliers. In the event production world they are all known as "Socapex". The most common type, and the subject of this thread, is used for lighting and loudspeaker circuits and is a lot bigger than the ones used on military comms sets.

You really are out of your depth here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>