Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Socapex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 5:37pm
Wikipedia is by no means a source of facts.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Wikipedia is by no means a source of facts.

I'm sure you can back that with some evidence.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 9:58pm

Ironic, isn't it?

Edited by JonB67 - 06 January 2019 at 9:59pm
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Hey elfinque:

Socapex is a French connector manufacturer who make a wide range of products, many of which have direct equivalents made by other suppliers. In the event production world they are all known as "Socapex". The most common type, and the subject of this thread, is used for lighting and loudspeaker circuits and is a lot bigger than the ones used on military comms sets.

You really are out of your depth here...

According to Wikipedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socapex) :

Quote The Socapex was first created by a company called Socapex in 1961, which later on became Amphenol Socapex.

Then there's http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-DTL-5015 (I believe the military version uses a bayonet connector)

EDIT : then again, it's almost 10 years since my conscription, the last time I was in service was 2015
Yes, the company called Socapex is the french connector manufacturer called Socapex.

A little more research would serve you well.
The socapex connections talked about here are used in specific applications.

If you look at at catalog for MIL-DTL-5015 there are two 19 pin MIL-DTL-5015 "22-14" and "22-30"
page 439 of this catalog http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/5015_Catalog.pdf shows you the pin out, it's connector pins arranges in equilateral triangles/hexagons across the plug.

When you look at the socapex connector (about half way down this page.) 
https://p3connectors.com/2018/02/15/socapex-19-pin-circuit-drawings-wiring-diagram/
you'll see it is not. the pins are arranged differently.

Seriously, if you don't know, why are you offering this advice? - some fool is going to follow your advice one day, and they will end up wasting their money on a bunch of shite that simply doesn't work.

Edited by Danielr - 06 January 2019 at 10:45pm
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 11:58pm

just sharing my experience

Let me be clear, 
They are not the same, I have posted links to catalogues to show you that they are not the same. 

You are not sharing your experience because you do not have experience with these connectors. 

You cannot share experience that you don't have. 
You have no experiance of Socapex connectors because the military connectors and these are not the bloody same. 

When you claim this experiance your lying. 

Also to be clear, you might not be saying they won't work. 
I am saying absolutely, unequivocally. 
If you make a cable with the mill connectors you posted they will not mate with Socapex fan in or fan out tail because the pin arrangement in the plugs, the actual geometry of the pins, is different. 

Edited by Danielr - 07 January 2019 at 12:02am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 1:38am
op's question was "what's the best place to buy it" too..
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 5:13am
Isn't it about time Ian banned this oxygen-thief? Wacko
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:43am

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

op's question was "what's the best place to buy it" too..

I just checked Farnell.. most of the MIL-spec stuff seems to be 5-10 times more expensive than standard A/V stuff, although they carry more signals than a standard DMX.

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to achieve here?

I'll be honest, at first I thought people were being a bit harsh with you, you'd simply gotten a little mixed up with the connectors we were discussing and people pointed out that we were talking about something very different to you. 

However this dogged refusal to drop the subject is really grating even me at this point. No one has mentioned DMX or running DMX down the cable except you. You're discussing your experience with a small multipin connector for line level signals, and even a very quick google (never mind everyone explaining it to you) shows that the one we are discussing a much bigger connector with much more robust pins and much thicker cable for carrying powered signals. 

I'm sure the OP at least appreciates you getting back on the subject and checking the price for him at Farnell, but again the fact that you bring up DMX makes me think that you're still looking at the wring kind of connector, and that the info isn't really of much use?

We're all on here to learn, and hopefully learning about this use of a particular Socapex connector will stand you in good stead sometime in the future. But please stop bringing up something that is irreverent in the thread.

K
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

where’s the best place to buy them , need lots of it and mainly 419 if possible 
Thanks in advance 

http://www.stage.com.tw/
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 10:33am
Has anyone ever tried to use Socapex for Cat5? Seems to be more robust than a RJ45?

P.S I am not sorry ;)
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 11:08am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to use Socapex for Cat5? Seems to be more robust than a RJ45?

P.S I am not sorry ;)

Nah Cam-lock is the way to go... can get your fingers in there to clean the dirt out...totally improves your network !
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 1:40am
I thought maybe SOCAPEX was a new genre or something....
Soca dubstep or something LOL Alison Hinds & Skrillex
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>