Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double cab wired on two amp channels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double cab wired on two amp channels
    Posted: 03 January 2019 at 12:41pm
is it ok to run a double  cab (the 15s i just made) with each driver being fed by seperate amp channels of the same amp as long as it gets the same signal?

Its not ideal,  just an option i need to make my gear more scalable

Edited by JonB67 - 03 January 2019 at 1:01pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 1:35pm
It shouldn´t be any different to running 2 separate cabs. Just don´t get any wiring crossed!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 1:48pm
Thats what i assumed.  

My amp wont do 4r bridged but will do 8r/channel with sufficient power to run it.  Thinking of removing the link between the speakons inputs and running a cable to each.  Might put a switch in so i can run it one way or the other at the push of a button. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 4:59pm
"Might put a switch in so i can run it one way or the other at the push of a button. "

I´d say don´t do that. Some idiot might come along & push the button - and bang goes your amp!  Ouch

A PITA, but better to double  up on the speakons & use a short speakon-speakon to bridge the 2.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

is it ok to run a double  cab (the 15s i just made) with each driver being fed by seperate amp channels of the same amp as long as it gets the same signal?

That is how my double 18 reflex subs are wired, they are loaded with 4 ohm drivers in this case so bridging the amp isn't an option, instead they are configured for dual mono so 1 input feeds both channels.

Edited by Conanski - 03 January 2019 at 5:34pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Might put a switch in so i can run it one way or the other at the push of a button. "

I´d say don´t do that. Some idiot might come along & push the button - and bang goes your amp!  Ouch

A PITA, but better to double  up on the speakons & use a short speakon-speakon to bridge the 2.

Fair point.  Always better to make stuff as idiot proof as possible 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

That is how my double 18 reflex subs are wired, they are loaded with 4 ohm drivers in this case so bridging the amp isn't an option, instead they are configured for dual mono so 1 input feeds both channels.

Yup, mine are summed mono too. I'll just crack on then!

Edited by JonB67 - 03 January 2019 at 5:52pm
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 6:03pm
Most professional 218's are wired a driver per set of pins.

It's handy if you think about it as you can get 2.66r loading on a amplifier with a stack of 3 subs etc.

For my subs I have made NL8 plugs with pins bridged so I can put that in the last bin and send signal to both drivers in the boxes. If I just want to use one bin alone.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 6:03pm

Then hook up +1 -1 to the 1st driver and +2 -2 to the second and run it that way....

Makes it idiot proof and give you the option of making an adaptor lead that bridges them together should you find yourself with a nice big amp to run a pair of boxes from. Keeping the adaptor lead in your adaptor bag away from idle hands
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Then hook up +1 -1 to the 1st driver and +2 -2 to the second and run it that way....

Makes it idiot proof and give you the option of making an adaptor lead that bridges them together should you find yourself with a nice big amp to run a pair of boxes from. Keeping the adaptor lead in your adaptor bag away from idle hands

+1

Yup - thought about this late last night. Also, some amps will have both channels on the 'A' channel speakon already, so logical!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:28am
at the mo i only have 2 core cables,  so I'll run it off the two seperate speakons at the weekend and upgrade to 4 core after. 

More i think about it the more the solution is buy second amp. Just taking one to a gig is risky anyway. Does mean the amp would be running just one channel for some gigs. Do they mind that?

Edited by JonB67 - 04 January 2019 at 11:28am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 2:12pm
"Do they mind that?"

Well, you´ll need to supply them with the correct form to complain (& pen!).   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>