Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double cab wired on two amp channels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 4:24pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 4:45pm
Yes, i know it is,  and understand the idea and usage,  but i don't have any and didn't need them when i started and bought all my cables. 
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

at the mo i only have 2 core cables,  so I'll run it off the two seperate speakons at the weekend and upgrade to 4 core after.

I was taught 4-pole is the way to go.. I just had to check one of my old Thomann invoices.

forget 4 pole u need to take a trip here !!!  LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 4:49pm

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Nice one!

Down here, every bloody shop you go to now, has to have large sign telling you that the place has forms if you want to complain about service, or products. No longer acceptable to just punch the assistant!!  Confused Smile Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 5:29pm
The matrix wrote nothing so I guess it's ok to have one amp channel running hard and one without any load then!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 9:59am

The matrix wrote nothing so I guess it's ok to have one amp channel running hard and one without any load then!

Yup - or even use different signals on each channel, eg bass on 1 & 2, mid on 3 & top on 4!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 10:51pm

The Matrix didn't write anything because an amp has no thumbs, thus, Matrix can't hold a pen, it don't look happy...
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 10:47am
NL8/8 core or EP6 or Socapex for real rigs.

Any way, away from that efin' shite, and back to OP:

My only fear of using an amp channel per driver is a bit theoretical, and only in a worst case - if a cable core fails, then the motion of the one driver still working, will flap the other one. Same if an amp channel fails.

Perhaps moot, as by this point, you have bigger things to worry about, but a potential draw back, which could make a bad situation worse?

Potential for something similar if an amp gain pot is different to the other, or if your feed to each amp channel is different; say you feed balanced signal to each channel, and a core drops, so 6dB difference in amplifier output. The "louder" cone would try and move the quieter cone, feeding back EMF into the quieter amp channel. Given that most amplifiers have to absorb some degree of back EMF anyway, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If your amplifier has a "parallel" switch, so signal at input A is shared equally to A+B modules, then that would reduce any small risk. This is not the same as "bridge" mode, but often it is the same 3 position switch, depending on amp manufacturer. RTFM.

But, until you get a big enough amp to drive it at 4 ohm per amp channel, no great issues, and the above is the only drawback I can think of.

If you use fat enough/short speaker cables, driving speakers at 8 ohm will, in theory, keep the damping factor (the "grip" an amplifier has on an attached driver) higher than driving at 4 or 2 ohm, so may offer some benefit. Whether you, or I, have ears that would hear the improvement is open to debate.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2019 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yup - or even use different signals on each channel, eg bass on 1 & 2, mid on 3 & top on 4!  Smile

Mine is set up bass on 1&3 tops on 2&4, I was advised to do it that way to take the strain off one side of the Amp I have the The T.Amp Tsa-4-700
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12