Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 line array cab plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 10:13pm
Do you have this manual somewhere? How many pages exactly? Or just give something characteristic for google.

There was another line array topic with link to pdf explaining how fucked up is the impulse response of 3 boxes. Cant find it Ouch
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 11:38pm
You can literally Google “VDOSC manual”

I have some measured impulse responses of a real array vs a Jericho on our website...
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 7:14am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

But don’t think you’re remotely close to the real thing by downloading some point source box plans with the HF horn made narrow on one axis and rotated by 90 degrees.

Wait, it is not?! Fock, you just made some big brands R&Ds lose their design conceptShocked Duran Audio Axys is the most ridiculous one I have seen I think. Nova also has some "great" ones...
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:49am
And here comes 119 pages update from 2013 and 5 leaflets..

If you are saying about coaxially mounted speaker vs danley horns... notice BMS triaxial drivers and what is happening around their crossover frequencies.
Has any of those big brands producers published weightened directivity plots?
Look at the reflex plot of eighteensound reflex:
So only one producer is not ashamed?Embarrassed

I have some measured impulse responses of a real array vs a Jericho on our website...
How would you compare best Danley to best line array?

I think Elliot posted link to this paper. I just dont agree that reflex impulse response is lame. Nor to the conclusion of triple peak impulse response. It may happen on frequencies where wave will be splitting so far into hf range but im not convinced that it will look like tripple peak on single mountain. Tapped horns has this strange not decaying impulse response.

Edited by gen0me - 09 January 2019 at 9:47am
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 10:52am
Ray, all these people talling you it wont work are just talking out of their asses and play wise man.
Its gonna be awesome. Go build it.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

And here comes 119 pages update from 2013 and 5 leaflets..

If you are saying about coaxially mounted speaker vs danley horns... notice BMS triaxial drivers and what is happening around their crossover frequencies.
Has any of those big brands producers published weightened directivity plots?
Look at the reflex plot of eighteensound reflex:
So only one producer is not ashamed?Embarrassed

How would you compare best Danley to best line array?

I think Elliot posted link to this paper. I just dont agree that reflex impulse response is lame. Nor to the conclusion of triple peak impulse response. It may happen on frequencies where wave will be splitting so far into hf range but im not convinced that it will look like tripple peak on single mountain. Tapped horns has this strange not decaying impulse response.

No, not a coaxial speaker. It's a real measurement of a 10 deep hang of a big name line array, large format. I won't say which, but it's similar for many of them.

You can 'think' all you like, I prefer to 'verify' and 'measure'.

I also never said anything about reflex impulse response nor tapped horns. You asked about line arrays...

If you can't be bothered to read the manual you asked for, then that's on your head dude. It's hardly massive, and is immensely useful. It should frankly be required reading.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:40pm
genome:
actually very simple to answer. Jericho is superior sound quality wise as long as one box per side is sufficient for the venue. For 20.000+ Pax, there is no way around a Line Array though.
Kyle posted a sheet of notes he took from a Merlijn van Veen training where he wrote: Tonal variance is worse than level variance.
this summs up so many aspects of pa speakers design and deployment in such a short sentence that it is actually genius to me.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:06pm
Not so sure on 20k+ needing a line array. It's one solution sure, but then you're doing zero degree horrors to achieve it. I'd rather use out-fill, and delay lines with BIG point source if the option was available.

But yeah, that one resonated with me a lot (pun intended). I'd rather listen to/give an audience a consistent tonal sound at as many seats as possible than make sure all of them have a big number on an SPL meter. The infamous early line array 'nasally' sound outside of the pit / behind FOH is totally unacceptable to me. Strides have been made in that area - seemingly, treating the systems as sections of coupled point sources through array processing techniques, either done by computer or done by humans with FFT - but there's also still a lot to be said for improving direct to reverberant ratios at more seats.

To do that, you also need a better-behaved source, though.

I don't hate line arrays, far from it, they're a great tool that's massively improved the consistency of audio deployment for over 20 years. I've done multiple courses, manufacturer specific and agnostic, on designing and deploying them and done plenty of hangs myself. We own line array.
But I do think they're pretty much a done deal and there's only so many 'magic' tricks you can apply, many of which the big players already seem to have deployed

None of which currently appear to be able to tackle the primary issue of Europe being a pretty windy place with variable temperature.

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:33pm
Ha ha yes. Not just the wind either...

We ask our computer to design a nice line array hang that will generate a consistent sounding main lobe, that will *just* cover the audience plane but no more. Build it, tweak it with all the latest measurement toys, and verify its performance on an empty venue at the soundcheck.

Then somebody puts 50,000 people in front of it, each generating 100W of heat, or substantially more if it's a rave and they are all dancing.

What happens?

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:46pm
Sounds like Glastonbury 2007, per chance.

Thermal layers refract waves....aim it as much as you want, but as the wave passes through the difference in density/S.o.S. difference, the wave bends from original path.

Wind is a doppler effect I presume, artifact of S.o.S. being only one or two orders of magnitude bigger than typical windspeeds, 30mph ish wind is 10% of S.o.S., and becomes significant. Although I would of thought some events may be suspended due to structural limits Vs some wind speed.

Mewh. Putting sound waves through air as a medium is a real PITA.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 4:51pm
I know virtually nothing about line array systems, but - just curious ....

Do they generally just use a heap of reflex double 18s below the line array elements, or is there (typically) an upper bass/kick region section aswell ?
And am I also right in thinking the mid-top flown boxes are typically 2 x 8" or 2 x 6.5" high-power mid-range units with CD ?

If so - what kind of frequency is used to cross from bass boxes over to the flown boxes ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:21pm
you have big format line array,exemple:2x15" or 2x12" then medium then small.
depends on size of audience in general
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>