FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76
    Posted: 26 March 2020 at 3:12pm

Contractors that focus on a lot of metal instillation should be able to determine the resonance frequency of Aluminium based on the density of the material in addition to the length of the rod that is coming into play. When your quest is using materials that differ from the majority, you need to gather information from designers that use such materials on a day by day basis.

Nest Regards,

Elliot Thompson
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 10:16pm
Guilty as charged, there certainly is an aesthetic element to metal bracing. 

The resonance is indeed the concern with aluminum. In terms of it not being logical, it certainly would be a functional brace. But, perhaps just an unessecary step. I suppose I'm more intrested as a theoretical idea, to see if an aluminium brace could be applicable or even preferential in this scenario. 

I wonder if anyone has any experience calculating resonance in a brace in this scenario? I'd imagine it would be done in COMSOL/matlab or another multiphysics engine.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by luthier luthier wrote:

What I really want to decide now is if I can use aluminium for the main brace in the horn mouth for the kick section? 

It's playing up near 350hz at the moment so I'm definitely concerned about it having any negative impact?

I should add I'm not trying to copy Void Acoustics with the crazy - and very pretty - angled braces but I would like to do something more interesting than just a bit of 18mm birch. 

Interesting is usually coined as aesthetics from a design standpoint. You need to look at things from a logical standpoint. Aluminum resonates faster than wood and, can be quite a challenge once you achieve the metal's resonant frequency while offering a lot of sound pressure level.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 25 March 2020 at 9:48pm
Elliot Thompson
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 6:53pm
Update:

So last week I rough cut a couple of sheets of 18mm birch to put on the CNC (for all the panels with rebates and compound angles) so I could make two revised cabinets. Unfortunately the Coronavirus outbreak has massively slowed progress on the cab. The CNC I was planning on using is now out of action due to the whole building being on lockdown with my material stuck inside.

On the plus side I have reduced the height of the cab by 36mm, making it a nice round 1m. Also I revised the driver baffle to allow for easier fitting of the back panel. The driver is now offset by about 5mm more, if memory serves me right. Finally I drew up some more internal bracing with the lessons learned from the prototype.

What I really want to decide now is if I can use aluminium for the main brace in the horn mouth for the kick section? 

It's playing up near 350hz at the moment so I'm definitely concerned about it having any negative impact?

I should add I'm not trying to copy Void Acoustics with the crazy - and very pretty - angled braces but I would like to do something more interesting than just a bit of 18mm birch. 

BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 6:09pm
Excellent work!
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 12:07pm
Anyway, moving back to the build I knocked up a couple of 3mm ally connector plates for the nl8 connectors that will be on the back of the speakers.

Here's some photos and yes I drew them on CAD first MarjanM LOL, I even referred to my anthropometric guidelines to make sure everyone's hands could get through the access panel. 

Unnecessary, maybe but I like to do things right and I couldn't spend this much time on this project and put a crappy bit of abs/ply or worse one of those Adam Hall steel pressed dish connector plates on the cab.

Not finished the wiring yet and need to add in some locktite, spring washers and clean up the ally a bit more but you get the idea.

luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

There is absolutely no need of 3D drawings to manufacture loudspeaker boxes.

I would agree to an extent with that statement, but as a furniture maker and postgrad design engineering student I struggle to see why you would make yourself suffer working out things such as multiple compound angles by hand. CAD is such a valuable time saving tool when you get into it, on the flip side it can also be a real black hole. 

CAD/CAM, associative design, algorithmic design and the use of parametrics is something I find incredibly helpful in my work and my play. You certainly don't always need it but there's no reason not to explore using it. 

Here's a simple workflow example that almost everything I make follows:

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 11:07pm
shame the 1505c1 is too big for you lev it would pretty much play up high enough to meet a bms coaxial or similar horn easily id imagine not saying thats what would be best for you but it would be an option at least lol

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Also i dont know if it would reach 300hz with a fold, from what ive read bandbass horns like that dont like to play that high. A straight horn like hornresp the model would probably be better .

This...

Been trying different big cabs for years for 80-250, and beginning to think, just using cab like HD15  with best driver and smoothing Eq in LMS, is easiest route.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

do you now have space to swap the positions of the mid and high horns? might help the vertical pattern but maybe not much difference.

I'm not sure it would matter, I think it more dependant on filter alignment than position but stand to be corrected.
Main advantage I see to HF being at the top is that if the HF has someone bobbing up and down in front of it, it will have a far bigger impact on the sound than if they were in front of the mid.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

to calculate the bevel angle on the edge of a flare piece in a trap shaped cab.

X is the angle greater than 90 of the trapezoid base of the cab (e.g 15degrees for a 30deg splay angle)
Y is the angle away from horizontal of the flare piece that will butt against the wall.

pretty sure the angle to cut on the edge is =asin(sinX.SinY)

check on some scrap first though! and let me know if it works.

Doh, yes it works! Just tapped the angles into my calculator and out popped the angles I had in my notes.

Edit: spelling, pooped - popped

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 09 January 2020 at 9:04am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

There is absolutely no need of 3D drawings to manufacture loudspeaker boxes.

Agreed, used to do all my drawings on paper, the main reason I started using CAD was to be able to convert the files with a view to using a CNC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>