Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 2:09pm
Great work! 

I've got a Boxford system too. The software sucks donkey balls! I feel your pain!

I've been looking into upgrades to allow the use of Mach3 via USB/Ethernet. Seems like it can be done with ~£120 worth of Chinesium from th'eBay...maybe? Or perhaps that will just lose steps all over the parish and be exactly 0% better! Difficult to tell from online reviews, as people with good working machines don't bother to post reviews....

I like the look of your dust extraction cowl, got any more photos of the machine?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 6:32pm
Nice work, just curious will this be a diy project meaning plans will be available since the 8" horn is already available from Adam Hall? Was also thinking about in 15 mm cab for lighter ply. Been looking for something like this for a long time. I was planning on building Dref's new Omega mid top since 2013 on this site but the 10" horn was a lot of work plus tuning would have taken a lot of hours to build a specific phase plug. But was a good diy for someone that has experience in building mid tops of higher caliber. Will be waiting for your final product luthier.Big smile
BASS, how low can you go!
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Great work! 

I've got a Boxford system too. The software sucks donkey balls! I feel your pain!

I've been looking into upgrades to allow the use of Mach3 via USB/Ethernet. Seems like it can be done with ~£120 worth of Chinesium from th'eBay...maybe? Or perhaps that will just lose steps all over the parish and be exactly 0% better! Difficult to tell from online reviews, as people with good working machines don't bother to post reviews....

I like the look of your dust extraction cowl, got any more photos of the machine?

LOL Yeah it's a pig alright,... 

'll have to have a look into mach 3. Sounds interesting! 

The dust extraction cowl was made by a colleague, I'll grab some close ups when I'm next in. It works really well just makes the tool change a bit tricky. 

luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:42am
Nice work, just curious will this be a diy project meaning plans will be available since the 8" horn is already available from Adam Hall?

Not sure about releasing plans, it would make a very difficult DIY build due to the compound angles inherent with a bph in a trapezoidal cab.

The 8" isn't likely to stay but there's another thread about my own 8" I'm trying to develop.

Was also thinking about in 15 mm cab for lighter ply. 

15mm birch is quite hard to get hold of as not many places stock it. I've always had to order it in and wait a week. The weight difference is nothing crazy 33kg for 15mm and 37.5kg 18mm. I could adjust the plans for 15mn but I'd rather have the extra strength. 

Been looking for something like this for a long time. I was planning on building Dref's new Omega mid top since 2013 on this site but the 10" horn was a lot of work plus tuning would have taken a lot of hours to build a specific phase plug. But was a good diy for someone that has experience in building mid tops of higher caliber. Will be waiting for your final product luthier.Big smile

Never seen Dref's plan but I'd like to, I'll have to search it up. 

Edited by luthier - 03 April 2019 at 9:47am
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 1:45am
So it's been just over a year since I started this project and it's still not finished! But I thought it might be time for an update. So far I have made 138 parts in solidworks, made 14 different versions of the cab and spent countless hours trying to wrap my head around complex books on acoustics.   

Here's a quick visual representation of the changes over the last year. A lot of them are subtle but looking back at my first design I'm pretty horrified. 

Edited by luthier - 11 April 2020 at 11:44pm
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 2:16am
Also, here's some pictures of a rough prototype I've been working on. It's made from scraps left over from other projects but I thought it might be worth showing. 

Build wise:
  • The compound angles on three of the horn sections were an absolute arse 
  • The 15 just about squeezes in. 
  • 18mm ply is never 18mm, it's all lies 
Sound wise:
  • It's really, really loud
  • It plays down to about 70hz but, I wouldn't cross it that low as the cone displacement at high volumes -according to hornresp - reaches xmax at 82hz 
  • Ideal crossover would be around 90hz for a +/-3db range of 95hz-320hz
  • It does get up to 350hz and meets the MR8xt although it would be better to cross it around 320hz according to hornresp
  • Vocals sound awesome through it
  • Bass guitar has a really good snap
  • It loves jungle and kicks like a mule 
  • A couple of tracks sounded a little 'boomy' at higher volumes but I haven't started playing with EQ yet, I'm sure it needs some amount
  • I need to put a decent sub underneath it, brace it and cross it higher to really get it's full potential 

(Yes I did put the back on before testing it)

Edited by luthier - 07 January 2020 at 3:50am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:23am
Nice one, some top work there Luthier.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:01pm
do you now have space to swap the positions of the mid and high horns? might help the vertical pattern but maybe not much difference.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:07pm
What are the dispersion patterns on the mid and hf horns?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:43pm
Very nice, looks like you've had some fun with that, I feel ur pain re the compound angles. Also liking the the peg board table, used a friends table the other day, sooo usefull if u have the clamps for it. My last build I moved to a £20 nuematic nail gun from lidl, wasn't really expecting much but has proved to be a big time saver and so far hasn't jammed. Still not finding the cad stuff easy but managed to get some working drawings done and work out all them awkward angles :)

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 07 January 2020 at 11:54pm
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

do you now have space to swap the positions of the mid and high horns? might help the vertical pattern but maybe not much difference.

Yeah I have the space to swap them over now, still trying to decide if it's worth doing. 

Edited by luthier - 08 January 2020 at 4:37pm
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Nice one, some top work there Luthier.  

Thanks! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>