Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet another BPH issue...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another BPH issue...
    Posted: 05 January 2019 at 11:34pm
Hi Guys.

If you had the assignment of building (or loading) a BPH like ES18-BPH or USB, what would you choose and what driver would you choose for it?

Dont think about price.
Just, what driver would rock the f*** out of these boxes?
Neo drivers allowed πŸ˜„
Paudio SD18 cant still be the best for it πŸ€”

Frank
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 1:13am
What are your goals? Max SPL above 50Hz or lower frequency response? Are you willing to go huge?
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 5:40am
2 stacks of 4 singles. Minimum.
No subs. There is No need for that deep 30-35hz rumble.
Max spl is primary goal. Lower response is secondary.

The goal is a sound like Turbosound tsw 718, and the size of two singles should be close to the same size as 718.

Edited by FOO - 06 January 2019 at 8:32am
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 10:21am
Am using the fane 18xs  https://m.thomann.de/intl/fane_colossus_prime_18xs_8_ohm.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ADK.DKK%3AEUR

Edited by Father-Francis - 06 January 2019 at 10:23am
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 10:45am
Many think, pile of these, 1x mile high, will achieve sub.

It won't, no matter which driver.

If need plenty of notes < 50hz, build subs, not kicks.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 11:24am
Levyte357
I dont expect and dont need sub.
If it is possible to get some sub-like sound with 4, 6 og 8, fine by me. But it is not a demand. 

Have been using Fane TT1000 BPH before. Loaded with Fane 18b600.
Great kick and OK low freq response. Almost the same cab as ES18-BPH. Only big difference is magnet in chamber.

Francis, sweet.. You also run these cabs? You got it all 😁
Would you dare to use them 4 in a stack,  1 stack each side, for dance and techno?

I really like the sound of Fane drivers. Have plenty experience with 18b600 and good old 18XB.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Many think, pile of these, 1x mile high, will achieve sub.

It won't, no matter which driver.

If need plenty of notes < 50hz, build subs, not kicks.

A block of six F221 is about as huge as it gets in BPH world, yet only allows about 4Hz extra low extension from the single F221 cutoff of 50Hz, so yeah. That's a big old box, and yet at max output (clipping a bridged E45 into one) it essentially is 23dB down by 30Hz.

But, the distortion drops massively and the stack becomes really dynamic, with a fairly insane output from 60Hz to 100Hz (enough that really, some of it should be EQ'd out... ooooh snap, sorry 'no EQ' F1 guys!) - so as ever, pick your battles.

Edited by toastyghost - 06 January 2019 at 12:26pm
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 1:57pm
No EQ is more of a general rule for the tops.
The bass in most cases needs to be EQ’d in my experience 
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Levyte357
I dont expect and dont need sub.
If it is possible to get some sub-like sound with 4, 6 og 8, fine by me. But it is not a demand. 

Have been using Fane TT1000 BPH before. Loaded with Fane 18b600.
Great kick and OK low freq response. Almost the same cab as ES18-BPH. Only big difference is magnet in chamber.

Francis, sweet.. You also run these cabs? You got it all 😁
Would you dare to use them 4 in a stack,  1 stack each side, for dance and techno?

I really like the sound of Fane drivers. Have plenty experience with 18b600 and good old 18XB.
Hey boss these are the boxes I have and am very happy with them 
On the 29th December we used 4 in one block sounded good, and it’s not that big a box we have 8 and 8more Xs’s waiting . 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 5:43am

Paudio SD18 cant still be the best for it

As far as I was aware, the SD18 mentioned on the plans was the original Mk1 and that the Mk2 was really not well suited to use in the ES-18?

It's really quite important that you decide which design you're planning to use (USB or ES-18) though as they're designed for two different things. The ES-18 is a dedicated kick-box to be used above subs whereas the USB is intended to do the job similar to TSW-718s and F218s (albeit if you've not got the proper Celestion in them then they don't hold a candle to the Branded cabinets).

If you want something akin to the 718, given the plans are readily available and they've been out of production for years, you could probably just build some and stick PD.188 (I think is the current favourite) in them. Even then it's probably cheaper to buy some second hand 718s... 
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:19pm
I guess i also could use the plans on hornplans.free :P

There is a really nice one.
But this SV186 also looks really nice...
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Paudio SD18 cant still be the best for it

It's really quite important that you decide which design you're planning to use (USB or ES-18) though as they're designed for two different things. The ES-18 is a dedicated kick-box to be used above subs whereas the USB is intended to do the job similar to TSW-718s and F218s (albeit if you've not got the proper Celestion in them then they don't hold a candle to the Branded cabinets).

I would say it's the other way. ES18 as stand alone bass bin and USB as kick above subs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>