Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL PRX800 series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL PRX800 series
    Posted: 10 January 2019 at 3:49pm
Any experience of the JBL PRX800 series of cabinets? Looks to be a successor to PRX700 range.

Was thinking PRX812 1x12+HF as mid top, with PRX815XLF as compact bass, for a compact 4 cab sub/satellite rig, Posh DJtastic-ness for weddings/bands to 150 peeps.

As an alternative to QSC K2. The K cardio sub is just too big for ease of transit by car; fine in a van, but expected transport would be car.

Yamaha DZR12/DXS15XLF is just a bit too rich for budget.

Any other ideas?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 4:53pm
Used a pair as DJ monitors the other day, they were ok. Typical JBL slightly harsh, bright sound. Over processed to my ears, but fine for the job.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Used a pair as DJ monitors the other day, they were ok. Typical JBL slightly harsh, bright sound. Over processed to my ears, but fine for the job.

Yeah, always found the portable JBL stuff to have a "sharp", crunchy almost, HF.

Pays your money, takes your chances...

It is more the bass size. An 18" would be good, but too big, the QSC K bass option is over 800mm in one dimension. Others have a similar big dimension, which puts it in realms of van, not car, for transport.

The JBL PRX 15" bass looks compact, with published numbers of the order of everyone else at price-point. What a surprise.

I don't really want to mix and match K12.2 with someone else's bass for fear of getting the transition even worse than the manufacturer managed to do. I would hope (naively perhaps) that by sticking to one manufacturer's bass and mid/top, that they will have aligned things to work out of the box.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 2:46pm
Well, I just hope that they are more reliable than the 700 series. I´ve had more than average of those in for repair here. Stupid things like the fan failing & causing overheating!   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 3:41pm
thought about some nice compact 15s ? For the subs TomT_29 does amazing stuff have a chat! I'm well impressed with my subs off him
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 3:51pm
Did you look at the RCF offerings? (knowing you already have RCF).
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:13pm
Yes, but Art3XX/7XX is so damn fugly!

705A sub is sized nicely, and works for application; just those tops. SO DAMN FUGLY

Sick that a W-Audio Box looks nicer! Even AVSL boxes look more pro!

Just put a full front grill on them, saves a load on poncy mouldings, sounds identical - bosh.

QSC/Yamaha styling/performance is bang on, but subs are either just too big, or too much.

FFS. Grrrr.

I quit. I am going to become an Uber driver, and live in a Prius.

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:16pm
What about the EV offerings? They have fancy pants screens on the back with various EQ etc which makes them more like the K2.

Or the DAS?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:23pm
DAS. Have a 715A and 415A downstairs, but the BT link makes me think "DJ jack plug". Subs are "large" again.
EV. Did look, but I just think the badge hasn't got the Kudos, this side of the pond, as it does out west. By the same token, DAS's badge doesn't really inspire much desire, unless your by the Mediterranean.

Mewh.

I'll get my cab...
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:26pm
I don’t think the speakers on stick crowd who come in a car really give that much of a shit so long as it makes noise and doesn’t blow up.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Yes, but Art3XX/7XX is so damn fugly!

705A sub is sized nicely, and works for application; just those tops. SO DAMN FUGLY

Sick that a W-Audio Box looks nicer! Even AVSL boxes look more pro!

Just put a full front grill on them, saves a load on poncy mouldings, sounds identical - bosh.

QSC/Yamaha styling/performance is bang on, but subs are either just too big, or too much.

FFS. Grrrr.

I quit. I am going to become an Uber driver, and live in a Prius.

Thats true, the earlier art series had the full cover option.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I don’t think the speakers on stick crowd who come in a car really give that much of a shit so long as it makes noise and doesn’t blow up.

Up in the powerhouse that is the industrial north, you may be right, but "dan sarf", we are far more sophisticated!
 Post Reply Post Reply