Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austin Armstrong Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Austin Armstrong Amps
    Posted: 10 January 2019 at 5:58pm
My friend has bought a large ASS sound system that came with 3 four channel Austin Armstrong Q3000  amps.

Not much online about these, they are old heavy weights 4U high and have a dual power supply.

He is looking for RMS ratings for these - Can anyone help?

Also any general info and comments/history would be great.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 6:42pm
I had a AA Quad amp kicking about, 2000 ish IIRC, so about 4x 500W per channel at 4Ohm. Kind of implies what your Q3000 might do.

Had a nasty habit of setting fire to a small daughter board off the main channel PCB, and then AA disappeared.

I did find a website a few years later who claimed to be something born out of the old - http://www.verus-audio.co.uk/index.htm Don't know if still current, but might be worth a punt to say hello to them.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:49pm
From memory the Q3000 was 750 per channel into 4 ohms, there was also a Q2000 (as above) and a Q1000.
Tony used these amps on his systems for a while, they were designed by Richard Collins I believe the later variants were renamed Monitec. speak to member Monitec (richard on here he's a member)

Edited by colint - 10 January 2019 at 8:50pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2019 at 12:39pm
Many thanks for your replies
 SP never fails for that! Monitec has serviced our amps in the past I believe :)
Monitech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monitech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2019 at 3:25pm
if they are the amp's from Wales, with an ASS concert rig
The 3k in red =1000 w into 2 ohm
The 3k in blue =500 w into 2 ohm
The 3k in white 750 w into 4 ohm

phoenix out of the ashes
digitalfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 10:46pm
Hi sorry to rehash a old thread, but i recently came across a Virgin Cinema amplifier. A Cepiar 306 C - cant find anything online about it, could anybody tell me the specs of this amplifier?

Edited by digitalfield - 23 February 2023 at 10:48pm
Monitech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monitech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2023 at 6:51pm
It's 2 X 300 watts in to 4 ohms
May need all off the large cap's changing 
phoenix out of the ashes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2023 at 11:44pm
Thanks so much for the info. Here is a picture of the amplifier inside. Looks very clean to me including the caps. Anything else you can tell me about it?

https://ibb.co/tC5C66T
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 6:02am
I like it with that V-shape inside, looks cool. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 6:35am
Yes, that looks very clean - and neat, definitely.

One, or maybe 2 of the caps in the "V" of the heatsink do look like they've taken a knock. Maybe worth checking those.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes, that looks very clean - and neat, definitely.

One, or maybe 2 of the caps in the "V" of the heatsink do look like they've taken a knock. Maybe worth checking those.

Thanks, which ones in particular do you think could be troublesome? I'm not quite sure how I'd go about checking them and where I'd get replacements. I'm not a service engineer. I actually picked this amplifier up for £45. Bought it because I thought it was interesting. It seems to work ok, although I haven't tried it on a big rig yet. I only had some small speakers to connect it too. It seemed rather quiet which is why I wanted to know the wattage. The speakers I connected it too were quite small though, plan to connect it to some 600w subs and tops, see how it handles those. There is no volume levels, only input levels on the rear.

Edited by digitalfield - 25 February 2023 at 9:11am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Contour Contour wrote:

I like it with that V-shape inside, looks cool. 

Yeah when I opened it, that's the first thing I noticed. Looks very well designed and it's built like a tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>