Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austin Armstrong Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:17am
Feel for any unevenness on top of those blue capacitors. This indicates that the capacitors could be drying out which would result in less capacitance or higher ESR.
digitalfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

Feel for any unevenness on top of those blue capacitors. This indicates that the capacitors could be drying out which would result in less capacitance or higher ESR.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at those. Another interesting thing I noted was it had 1995 stamped into the PCB. I'm guessing the year it was made. To me those blue caps look almost new. Maybe they have been changed in it's lifetime.
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:23am
Nice layout inside & love the V shape heatsink, Looks very "C-Audio" ish to me. 
I am sure that someone at at Austin Armstrong had a link with C-Audio at some point. Maybe someone on here can verify this ?. Smile
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:25am
Originally posted by digitalfield digitalfield wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at those. Another interesting thing I noted was it had 1995 stamped into the PCB. I'm guessing the year it was made. To me those blue caps look almost new. Maybe they have been changed in it's lifetime.
Are the caps 4700uf 100V claw type mounting by any chance ?.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:32am
Originally posted by simonp1100 simonp1100 wrote:

Originally posted by digitalfield digitalfield wrote:

Are the caps 4700uf 100V claw type mounting by any chance ?.
I'm not quite sure to be honest, but I can get some closer pictures for you later if you like. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:49am
"Thanks, which ones in particular do you think could be troublesome?"

I'm talking about the smaller blue ones close to the heatsink. They have "slots" on them already, which are there to open up if the capacitor fails due to some stress, excess voltage, etc.

In that case, they will ooze out some muck, or splatter debris around, which obviously has not happened, but worth checking as at least one seems to have a large dent on the top.

I wouldn't bother too much with the larger filter caps. They look fine and most probably still have a good few years of life in them, but given what you paid for the amp, maybe worth getting it all checked out by a (qualified) service engineer.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Thanks, which ones in particular do you think could be troublesome?"

I'm talking about the smaller blue ones close to the heatsink. They have "slots" on them already, which are there to open up if the capacitor fails due to some stress, excess voltage, etc.

In that case, they will ooze out some muck, or splatter debris around, which obviously has not happened, but worth checking as at least one seems to have a large dent on the top

I wouldn't bother too much with the larger filter caps. They look fine and most probably still have a good few years of life in them, but given what you paid for the amp, maybe worth getting it all checked out by a (qualified) service engineer.   Smile

Thanks I might just do that, I know some basics but wouldn't like to attempt to do too much myself. I'm glad you guys find this Amplifier interesting, pretty cool what you can find for cheap on eBay 

Edited by digitalfield - 25 February 2023 at 10:07am
Monitech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monitech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 7:13pm
The amp was designed in 1995 , if the main caps have been changed at some point they were 10000uf originally.
phoenix out of the ashes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12