Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burst Test/Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burst Test/Power
    Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:54pm
If an amp gives 3500W per channel into 4ohm @40ms burst 1kHz sine wave,what wattage would the amp be delivering at 25-100HZ is there a formula,100 ways to skin a cat,guestimate,nothing or is it just scope thats gonna give this answer bearing in mind certain amp manufactures claim you cannot do measurements in the traditional way phew
Soundbite
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2019 at 9:17pm
There is no formula, it all depends on manufacturer/build quality of unit.

The cream of the old transformer amps, had manly enough PSUs, and enough output devices, perform to spec down to 2 ohm stereo at 40hz.

My personal "formula" for  I apply to ALL lightweights playing sub, is expect lightweight amp to provide MAX 66% of rated power on sub notes.

Which is why you need ridiculously rated lightweight power amps, to really power 4/6x subs on 1x lightweight amp.

Back in the days of transformer amps, how many people actually bought transformer amps rated at 10K?

That's because, those days quality amp rated at 1.8k - 2kw per channnel at 4 ohms, did what it aid on the tin, or more.

Where as today, MOST lightweight stereo amps rated 3-5kwpc at 4 ohms 1khz burst, actually provide approx 1.8-2.5kwpc @ 4 ohms @ 40hz, and hence easily matched by Void Infinite 8MK2.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2019 at 10:00pm

My personal "formula" forĀ  I apply to ALL lightweights playing sub, is expect lightweight amp to provide MAX 66% of rated power on sub notes.

Interesting points Levyte how did you arrive 66% and not 55% or 75% like you say dependent on manufacturer some could inflate the specs and some overbuild. There is a supposed small % difference for void @ 1kHZ and 40HZ prob 20/30W with above formula for light weights your talking 1000W difference between 1Khz and 40HZ

Edited by djkeet - 12 January 2019 at 10:14pm
Soundbite
 Post Reply Post Reply