Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15” Reflex - 636mm wide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15” Reflex - 636mm wide
    Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:38am
I’ve been looking high and low for plans for a 15” reflex cab to sit on top of scoops. Only has to play a very small bandwidth (70-130) so would consider a bph but really looking for a tight, musical kick / upper bass. Would also be brilliant to be able to use them for smaller gigs.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:51am
I think a 636 wide 15" cab will look silly, aim for 636 height and stack em on their sides imo.
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:14pm
That’s kinda what I was thinking - as long as it was 636 along one side would’ve been happy! Already dismissed a few for looking ‘silly’.

This was kinda my last ditch attempt at finding a 15” reflex box, been looking at 18” reflex now as they’ll fit better and be better as sub for smaller gigs. Hoping the fact they’re reflex would be enough to ensure they’ll still sound tight. Currently eying up the B&C sub 18, but build them in singles.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:25pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 1:03pm
I stand corrected that fane doesnt look silly.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by jwdrain jwdrain wrote:

I’ve been looking high and low for plans for a 15” reflex cab to sit on top of scoops. Only has to play a very small bandwidth (70-130) so would consider a bph but really looking for a tight, musical kick / upper bass. Would also be brilliant to be able to use them for smaller gigs.

If you only need 70-130hz, ideally above Scoops, think 18" BPH would be the perfect cab, with plenty of noise, for little power.

I may just have talked myself, into another 4x!!
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

http://www.fane-international.com/downloads/Cabinets15inch125Lres.pdf
you could add 6mm to the width and it wouldn't have any noticeable affect for what you want
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2019 at 10:13am
Why do you want a reflex for 70Hz plus, I'd go sealed myself.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2019 at 11:22am
BPH And Scoops are a proven formula, inside and especially out.

As long as LMS is used for delays, aligning.

If you don't use LMS, well.... Expect things to be much more difficult..
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 2:33pm
Personally I would get cabs that play lower than 70. You'll get more "authority" to the kick that way. Plus, they give you the option to use them without the scoops, for small gigs. If they can't be used without subs, they won't get as much use as they could, and won't earn their space in your warehouse as well as they could. Of course this would be at the expense of group delay and "speed" but, I think it is a good compromise.

I have a design, the RG115...I made them for Regather (and Huw). Hire their boxes for a gig and see what you think. I don't think they were 636 tall but I could rework the dimensions. 45-250Hz with good punch.

The basics of the design are two numbers - 87 litres net internal volume, 55Hz port tuning. It works best with a Fane Colossus 15B. My iteration was minimum width to fit the 15 on the baffle, I think I used a 125mm high full-width slot port, and then the port length and box depth/height were calculated to hit the two numbers above. As I recall, there was a 90 degree bend in the port and it extended up the back wall a short way to get the depth measurement I wanted. I thought they worked very well :)

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Personally I would get cabs that play lower than 70. You'll get more "authority" to the kick that way. Plus, they give you the option to use them without the scoops, for small gigs. If they can't be used without subs, they won't get as much use as they could, and won't earn their space in your warehouse as well as they could. Of course this would be at the expense of group delay and "speed" but, I think it is a good compromise.

I have a design, the RG115...I made them for Regather (and Huw). Hire their boxes for a gig and see what you think. I don't think they were 636 tall but I could rework the dimensions. 45-250Hz with good punch.

The basics of the design are two numbers - 87 litres net internal volume, 55Hz port tuning. It works best with a Fane Colossus 15B. My iteration was minimum width to fit the 15 on the baffle, I think I used a 125mm high full-width slot port, and then the port length and box depth/height were calculated to hit the two numbers above. As I recall, there was a 90 degree bend in the port and it extended up the back wall a short way to get the depth measurement I wanted. I thought they worked very well :)

These boxes with Fane 15XB and a Void Inf8 v2 was ace! Wish I never sold them .....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 5:40pm
ES18 can be very loud with Fane 18XB/Celestion 18 FTR, and not much power..

For lower extension PD186 (Not Series 2, Dead)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>