Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saturn 16 - 4 x 4200W - Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

..Have tested that Amp on bass duty at this gig, running 8x 18nlw9601s (+12x Orbit3s, 12 Void Arc6s) -  it does pretty well on Sub.. ;)
32A Plug - my bad, sorry James haha, cheers for the demo unit though!

edit: 2000++ happy punters, about  20x40m floor, pretty well covered, windows at the back of the building, behind the stage, were vibrating violently (had a second gig that day at a venue across the street.. ;) ) to be honest i doubt our K20s would have done much better running those 8 Subs..

That’s the sort of posts we want :)

Real world experience and honest unbiased opionion.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:13pm
Are they made here,or imported from China?
Be seeing you.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 8:57pm
The amps are manufactured in China, the speaker cabinets are built in the UK.  

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:29am
Originally posted by ReubGold ReubGold wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

It looks like the smaller one. 4x2500 at 4 ohm.

If this tiny package of electronics is able to run 8x 18nlw9601s, in other words, amplify bass for ~2000 people... then I am impressed.
I know amplifier technology has certainly advanced over the last couple of decades, but, wow.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 10:04am
We have an interesting conundrum, where internals of the amp  seem to disagree with use of the amp.

I just need to know details/specifications of output devices, and voltage/current ratings of PSU components.

I don't subscribe to writing off amps, just because they are Chinese, because the Chinese will build to your spec, IF you monitor them, and enforce QA.

Edited by levyte357- - 13 February 2019 at 10:05am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

We have an interesting conundrum, where internals of the amp  seem to disagree with use of the amp.

I just need to know details/specifications of output devices, and voltage/current ratings of PSU components.

I don't subscribe to writing off amps, just because they are Chinese, because the Chinese will build to your spec, IF you monitor them, and enforce QA.

James is hardly far away or unfriendly, why don’t you just source a demo unit and try for yourself?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 3:14pm
will he be allowed open it up and poke around? normally have to buy something before you can do that..
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

James is hardly far away or unfriendly, why don’t you just source a demo unit and try for yourself?

Before I even do that, would want to know about components and their ratings.

That would tell me about long term reliability, and likelihood of amp overheating, during normal operation, if not enough output devices, or insufficient current drawing/handling capacity of PSU.

Demoing unit, would tell me how amp sounds, and how well it powers drivers.

Edited by levyte357- - 13 February 2019 at 4:20pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 6:10pm
The number of output transistors is not really relevant to switching amps like it is for AB.  Also, to really know how a SMPS performs you need to test it or look at the schematic.  A rough idea can be had from the size of the transformer, however you also need to know the switching freq.

Edited by logsquared1 - 14 February 2019 at 12:55am
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:06pm
Design, as much as the components used is fundamental to
Reliable operation. Only a real world test would show suitability.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 4:25am
The 2 previous messages are very important.
One simple example. At same 100kHz switching frequency, a typical EE65 transformer used in many SMPS designs nowadays can deliver 1.5kw in Flyback mode but 3kW in resonant mode. That's not trivial... Then the DC-DC converter stage has also huge influence on the output capacity: switching at 70kHz with low efficiency MOSFETs / IGBTs and you get around 2kW in resonant mode but up to 5kW at 150kHz and X2 class MOSFETs.

All of this to say that you can't judge these Saturn amps only by looking at them. The circuit design and the components used are in fact more important than only number of output transistors or how big are the PCB...

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 5:48am
Good to have you back Arthur!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>