Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a small 60x 40 horn for a 1" comp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

if you are crossing as high as 2.5kHz then use the faital STH100. you will get much less throat distortion because of the faster flare rate.

if you look at the plots above 2.5kHz the STH100 is slightly wider dispersion but doesn't beam as much as the LTH102

The plots do look a lot better and it's a much smaller form factor. My only concern would be the wider dispersion of 80x70 over 60x40 introducing comb filtering issues with arrayed tops. 

My plan is to eventually use two cabs per side.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:04pm
above 2.5 it narrows from 80 to 60, the lth102 narrows from 70 to 40. not a lot in it - change the splay angle slightly and either will work.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:09pm
That seems obvious now looking back at the plots! Thanks for the help. It's exactly what I've been after. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:22pm
Both of those Faital horns sound bloody lovely with one of their ketone polymer drivers on the end of it too.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Both of those Faital horns sound bloody lovely with one of their ketone polymer drivers on the end of it too.

I had a look at the hf108, the frequency response graph looked phenomenal. It was like a lake! 
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 11:34am
Thanks, Efinque! 

Here's a quick render with the STH100, it seems to be a much better fit and as a plus Faital give you a DWG of the horn cut out which is absolutely fantastic!

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 11:36am
how would you load the 15 in if you had it like that?
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:34pm
Idea at the moment is to have a cut out on the side of the cab in the 8" horn section and another access panel on the chamber in front of the driver. It is very tight. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very interested to hear them.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:47pm
Om second thought's that really won't work, the driver barely fit's in as is. I might have to look into removing it from the vtc chamber just before the horn mouth.

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:52pm
Make it as two seperate boxes, split along the diagonal in front of the 15", so when seperate the 15 is exposed. you would have to take out the mid range horn to bolt the two boxes together, sealing the chamber....Wacko but it should work.....
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Make it as two seperate boxes, split along the diagonal in front of the 15", so when seperate the 15 is exposed. you would have to take out the mid range horn to bolt the two boxes together, sealing the chamber....Wacko but it should work.....

I see what your saying and like the thinking, might keep that one as a last resort! 

I'm playing with making a 'hat' for the driver at the moment... (it's not going very well)

luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 7:02pm
So I'm a little a little worried about the cone loading with this idea but I have managed to get the correct volume. The idea is to make it by laser cutting sections of the shape and then routing them out of MDF which will eventually make a positive former for a fibreglass mould. 

The other alternative is a simpler chamber in ply full of wadding to increase the volume the driver 'sees', has anyone done this accurately with success?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>