Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB-246 "Reborn"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTB-246 "Reborn"
    Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:42pm
Hello to you all...

Before i go any further with a friends new project, i just want to get your oppinions on this sweet enclosure. MTB-246.

I have added more bracing, and the baffles has been beef'd up from 18 to 24mm.
Will be cut and rebated with CNC.
Pre-drilled for all screws and hardware.

Still need to place handles and connections.

But what do you think with all the bracings?
Is it overkill or is it a home-run?
I know they have taken up some of the internal volume, but its not that bad.

-------------------------------------------
Plan A is to load them with 18sound 18NLW9000. If they sim nicely. Ports may need to be re-tuned. Not a big problem.
Plan B is to load them with RCF LF18G401 (the recommended driver), if 18NLW9000 doesnt bring anything sweet to the party. Still with the beef'd up baffles and bracings.
Plan C is to only go for standard bracing and 18mm baffles and recommended driver, if the internal volume is to small with the added bracings and thicker baffles.

let me know what you guys think of this :)
If anybody is up to the task of doing a couple of sims, i will be very happy! :)

Best regards - Frank

Edited by FOO - 19 January 2019 at 10:46pm
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 9:54pm
Nobody up for the task of doing a couple of sims and advice on this?
Happy to pay some green for the help :)

I am really a 100% noob on using hornresp and so on.. I really dont understand all the parameters.. But I love to build enclosures.
So i would really appreciate all the theoretical help i can get ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by FOO - 28 January 2019 at 10:24pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 12:59am
Hey FOO. this is quite a rough and ready sim so take it as a general overview. Basically simmed it as half the cab cut down the middle.

The above screenshot is 2 cabs together using the multiple speakers function. Black is the RCF and grey is the 18sound.

Seems the RCF is more efficient but the 18sound will take more power. Hope this helps you decide which driver will work best for you. 

Edited by Mikkel - 29 January 2019 at 1:07am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 1:05am
Seems like a huge box for that response. What about something closer to SKhorn?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 12:40pm
I think it's a bit of a waste to only use the 18NLW9000 till 50 Hz ish.

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 5:42pm
Mikkel, Thanks for that driver comparison.
I am a bit surpriced that the result came out like that.
I know nlw9000 will take double the power, but still. That RCF driver aint so bad :)
Based on this, RCF will be the weapon of choice i think.

It is not for my own rig, but for a fellow sound'n'gear junkie's rig.
So its up to him what driver to choose. I bet RCF will be hes favorite also. Half the price.. Might be a no-brainer.
Didnt think that they would be that close.

Toasty, SKhorn and its likes are quite a mouthfull to build. Alot of plywood sheets going into 4 cabs, + my working hours in the shops, dont come for free :D

Smitske96, yes you are quite right.
I have tried to convince him to go for a couple of dual 18 BR with 18NLW9000 or maybe B&C 18DS115, but he doesnt like the impact of BR. Not enough of it..

Edited by FOO - 29 January 2019 at 5:43pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 3:05am
Det var sรฅ lidt. Held og lykke med jers projekt :)

Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Hej Mikkel hvor befinder du, dig ?
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

I think it's a bit of a waste to only use the 18NLW9000 till 50 Hz ish.

Thats what I'm always thinking when building subs/bass cabs etc.. need to find drivers so that they can do the job at their best. It just feels kind of stupid to put high xmax sub-driver to a kick cabinet or vice versa.. even if it works somehow ok.

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 11:19am
First of all, this isnt a kick bin, and it goes fairly "deep". 40hz isnt that big a problem for it, from what i have been told from different users ๐Ÿ™‚

But I can follow your thoughts.
The driver choise have been made, and he has decided on the RCF ๐Ÿ™‚
Looking forward to start building these cabs for him. 

Next project on the table is a dual 18 BR. High Spl, deep and smooth sub-lows to go under martin 215 mk3 bins. 

Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Hej Mikkel hvor befinder du, dig ?

Hej Father Francis. Jeg bor i Sheffield, England. Smuk by med dejlig mennesker. Hvorfor spรธrger du?
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

First of all, this isnt a kick bin, and it goes fairly "deep". 40hz isnt that big a problem for it, from what i have been told from different users ๐Ÿ™‚

But I can follow your thoughts.
The driver choise have been made, and he has decided on the RCF ๐Ÿ™‚
Looking forward to start building these cabs for him. 

Next project on the table is a dual 18 BR. High Spl, deep and smooth sub-lows to go under martin 215 mk3 bins. 

I would drop the 218 and make single 21โ€ instead, the 215 will play down to 50hz with no problem at all, so you just looking for a sub to do 20/25-50hz , and you have a great 

HALM-BAL OG VARM CHOKOLADE

๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿพ
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>