Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sticking/jumping turntable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticking/jumping turntable
    Posted: 20 January 2019 at 8:59pm
Having Googled various sites to help overcome the problem I had on one of my Stanton T 62 turntables, which was sticking at a certain point on either 33rpm or 45prm record, all I did albeit not the correct way, was to gently and very slightly undid the screw on top of the part holding the arm, and, for the time being it works. I can now play a record without it sticking/jumping.Give a shout if it works for you.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:42am
Don't do this unless you really need to, as once you modify that screw you will need special equipment or the steadiest hand in the whole world to get it back to within the correct tolerances
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

Don't do this unless you really need to, as once you modify that screw you will need special equipment or the steadiest hand in the whole world to get it back to within the correct tolerances

Nah, bearing adjustment does require some care, but it is a very straightforward process. No need for "precision equipment". Just common sense really. You need a proper fine screwdriver. The tricky part is to get the tension just right. If it is too tight, the arm might get stuck. too loose, and the arm will have slack and vibrate in the bearing. You get to the sweetspot by trial and error. Just tighten and untighten, until it feels right and works well.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 3:42pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:09pm
people claiming stuff on the internet, no source provided, not even a hint as to what they base their claim on. I consider that opinions, not facts. It is doable, I have done it on several 1210s successfully.  
Frappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:37pm
Many thanks for all the replies to the action I took on my Stanton T62 turntable to prevent it sticking/jumping, etc.
Having been in radio for over 60 years playing records, even still doing today, I have picked up many an unorthodox trick or two with grams.  The screw I undid was so minute that I hardly moved it, but it solved the problem! - the arm does not stick/jump having tried records that have scratches on them. Now I can start to play and record at home for a radio programme my extremely large collection of vinyl instead of playing CDs or mp3s from a laptop/desktop. 
I understand and accept comments about cost of resetting - but give it a try.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:10pm
Same like you're claiming? If you choose to do.it your anti skating will not work unless you are within the original tolerance. Technics fix for this? Full new tone arm assembly. It's fine if you want to do it, just make sure you know what you're doing!
 Post Reply Post Reply