Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - es18? Martin 215 mk2,mk3? mkb-230? 1850? 186? Arr!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

es18? Martin 215 mk2,mk3? mkb-230? 1850? 186? Arr!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:31pm
Hey Bob.  Its true I may have a preconceived viewpoint of the Yorkville sound.  The stuff is everywhere around here so it doesn't get me too excited haha.   I will stick with my opinion however, I think they work really well for live sound but I like how vocals sound out of mine better.  The Unity's will outrun mine power wise without doubt. 

We have a local company building 15 and 18 inch single reflex subs using nicely spec'd modern drivers and very powerful modern plate amps.  They sound great for sure, but not such a huge leap above what I already have now. 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Jay michali Jay michali wrote:

Hey Bob.  Its true I may have a preconceived viewpoint of the Yorkville sound.  The stuff is everywhere around here so it doesn't get me too excited haha.   I will stick with my opinion however, I think they work really well for live sound but I like how vocals sound out of mine better.  The Unity's will outrun mine power wise without doubt. 

fair enough…… 

We have a local company building 15 and 18 inch single reflex subs using nicely spec'd modern drivers and very powerful modern plate amps.  They sound great for sure, but not such a huge leap above what I already have now. 

well, maybe that is a problem specific to their designs then? Maybe they have some bottleneck (the plate amps?), or simply wrong reflex tuning?

The data sheet of your current subs tells that they fall off sharply below 50 Hz. The difference should be noticeable.  

Why not go passive on your bass section if you have it DIY or custom made? With one proper beefy amp to drive your subs? running signal and electricity to every single bass bin feels like a hassle, but horses for courses I guess….. 

Another option regarding top end would be to build a mid horn large enough to do most of the kick, such as the DJK double 12" front loaded manta ray horn. DJK claimed it could go down to 100 Hz and meet his subs, while going high enough to meet a 2" compression driver and horn. EDIT: and providing excellent "SLAM" Tongue More a modular kind of system.

Edited by bob4 - 21 January 2019 at 5:59pm
Jay michali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 6:56pm
thanks for the suggestion bob, that link doesn't work and if I google search manta ray horn diy audio I'm not seeing anything?
Daniel S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 8:13pm

thanks for the suggestion bob, that link doesn't work and if I google search manta ray horn diy audio I'm not seeing anything?

It's just the way the forum handles links, it should be
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/270968-pa-mid-horn-ideas-help-2.html#post4251999
Distortion is evil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 8:47pm
Thanks for that! Doing some digging
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Hey Bob4.   The Yorkville unity's are readily available in my city and we have used them here and there. I like them for live music but I prefer the sound from my RCF's.  For dance music they pack a lot of punch but are not very hifi sounding to me ears. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Personally I have never heard a U15 cab.</span> <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Very interesting to hear your opinion!</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">To be honest it is a bit of a downer, since on paper the U15 should be superior to your current cabs from an engineering point of view, due to the Synergy loading (Yorkville licensed it from Tom Danley). Did you know that they have three 5" midrange transducers built inside the mid horn? I'm not arguing against your opinion, and don't want to sound disrespectful, but maybe you have had some kind of bias towards the cab….. it looks very unassumingly run-of-the-mill standard 15" two wayish. </span>

It may be worth auditioning and evaluating it again, see if anything can be done with processing/eq. It might suit your bill (and budget!!) very well otherwise.  

EDIT: they also array very well, with 60deg dispersion, you can put two per side for larger gigs. 

For the bass end, I would recommend to just build a pack of single reflex 15" or 18" with capable modern drivers. 

For example the bms 15s330 comes to mind. It would provide a scalable solution, since your smallest events are 75 people. 

I have heard a stack of four compact single reflex 15" subs loaded with this driver on a T amp proline3000 provide very nice sub. 

Unity, not Synergy - which means it lacks the advanced crossover design and adjustment of positioning, plus porting of lows into the horn also. That might be why it seems less 'hifi'

A tapped horn like the XoC1 TH18 actually does 35Hz (albeit -6dB) in singles, not packs of four. Tapped horns have the same response with one box as they do in piles, really handy for scalability.

However to do the upper kick of psytrance you'll want a BIG Synergy or some other sort of kick box. Aligning the latter properly can be hard, and that's where most setups struggle.

However, I've done TONS of psytrance gigs (for my sins) in the past year, up to 10k capacity, and frankly, what people 'think' it needs is often wrong. Apart from 'effects' or breakdowns with samples, the vast majority of the rolling, kickdrum parts do very little below 45Hz, in many cases, nothing below 60Hz. What they do have is insanely fast, rolling, nonstop high RMS signal at those frequencies, which pushes many designs into power compression, and also distortion, which makes it 'feel' lower than it is.

That's also often a problem because the upper bass lacks and can't actually do enough 'kick' to make it feel upper bass heavy. The snappy kickdrums live almost always on or around 100Hz.

I know this is a cheap Behringer desk, but here's this weekends' RTA screenshot, one of many I've been monitoring over the many, many hours sat by a system doing stupidly high output trance:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:49pm
Thanks for joining the conversation Toasty.  I hope your having at least a little bit of fun paying off your sins :)

You seem to be the perfect person to ask having lots of experience working with the psytrance sound.
In your opinion what would be my best way to approach a small to medium system that can handle that tough to reproduce sound?  Midbass/kick cabinets pretty much seem to be mandatory from my research? If you agree can you make a suggestion on which plans I should look into the most?  I don't want to trade off power for musical performance completely, maybe a middle road?  I'm looking pretty close at the es18,  mkh-230 / mkb-230 and the cubo kick 15's look interesting as well.

Do you figure having the th18 or maybe an Othorn under the kicks would be a good fit? I do want something under the kicks that can go fairly low for when music programming changes to more bassy tunes.  I understand integration will be a challenge but I'm willing to learn if it gets me the sound I want out of my gear.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated Toasty
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:23am
Personally I would start with Martin 215 Mk3 and a whole bunch of them. They’re a classic punchy all round bass box, that will get you going and they go low enough for a bunch of the music. The Danley DBH218 is a similar type of design and that’s covered huge crowds. Doesn’t have lots of authority down low, but it gets there.

You could then add Othorns for more sub content as you feel the need to expand. Just keep them running below 60Hz and allow a little acoustic overlap in the crossover so you get really strong chug, but keep the kick clean.

I’m really not a fan of Cubo, any of them. For the size of a stack and weight I feel you can do better not just in output but in tone. The Cubo subs I’ve heard, 15s, 18s, extended and vanilla all sounded aggressive, choked and grunty, or loose and flabby. Not at all refined or smooth and certainly not deep or tight.

You’d be fine with them - until you heard them side by side with even a similar sized reflex cabinet with good drivers.

Try looking at some sims of Martin 215 Mk3 with modern drivers and see what you think. But also keep a good budget for tops that play to 100 or so with authority too, you’ll be let down if you have a weak low mid section and need the 215 to play up there because you’ll lose the upper snap of the kick harmonics that carries the impact.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2019 at 1:09am
Thanks Toasty ghost. That helps immensely.  I had some reservations about the using the xoc with mid cabinets as it doesnt reach as low as some other options.  It makes good sense to go with a sub that can dig really deep if I am planning to use a powerful midbass cabinet.  Othorns it is, taking a much stronger look at the 215's.  Thanks again
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2019 at 6:14am
Yes, cubo series is good overall bass cabinet but it has nothing where it really shines.. Being (almost) one way bass solution, I like cubo 15's when it comes to psytrance, house etc. Good compromise it is, goes mostly low enough and has really nice tight "punch" compared to standard reflex. And ofcourse it really is more sensitive overall. You barely see the cone moving while your pants are already shaking. Still no idea about theory which makes it so loud compared to reflex..because cubo seems to be kind of reflex anyway. For smaller gigs, I can somehow recommend cubos (loaded properly).  Tbh my only experience is from cubo 15 extended I have here, as many others but for psytrance it does something right which at least I like. Maybe it just hits exactly those correct notes beetween 50-100Hz needed for good psytrance bass.

But yes, for big events.. horns horns and horns. Way to go.

Edited by Tonskulus - 23 January 2019 at 6:17am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2019 at 7:47am
I had some Cubo 15 extended with PHL drivers and they really did sound nice, however the Martin mk3s are very nice sounding cabs with modern drivers and as Kyle says there are more than one big name manufacturer still using variants of that design today, says a lot really. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay michali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2019 at 5:27am
I just randomly came across a guy with 6 original martin 115's about 2 hours from my place. Selling for peanuts.  Would this be a reasonable route to take for mid bass on top of my othorns?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>