Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMAART interpretation please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:49pm
Will do mate, thank you for your help.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:56pm
Try to measure at bigger distance. Those are big boxes and 1m is too close to get the real data. Try at 3-4m. 

Where exactly is your mic ponited at? Should be strait on axis with the mf/hf horn. And yet your results will wont be 100% accurate.

Edited by MarjanM - 21 January 2019 at 4:58pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
jamie-ashton-solo View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 6:31pm
I have the mic pointed between the horn and the 12s section so do I need to be aiming for the centre of the horn?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:18pm
No, you need to be further out, like Marjan says. Also you need to find the acoustic centre, if you want to measure up close. Move the mic up and down, measuring one part of the system at a time, but this is more advanced and you're not writing settings since the manufacturer has alreayd given them to you.

Your initial 1m measurement shows a dip in response because you're likely getting a reflection in the measurement, so again, ideally take the box into a car park, away from walls.

What are you intending to do with the SMAART software? That will help advise how to use it and where you're going wrong.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:34pm
yes thanks for that.  Will give it a go.  
Basically I could hear something missing in the hf range so wanted to have a look. then spotted the dip, which explained it. 
I've had a private from a member on here who had the passive version of these and the 1" was inverted which suggests my inverted plot is correct, however I'll do some more measurements on Wednesday evening at a better distance to make sure. 
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:24am
You’ll see that polarity inversion or not immediately if you measure the bands solo.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 8:52am
but won't I be flipping the polarity to put it back in phase due to the 12db passive between the 2 and the 1 putting the 1 out? So checking the 1" on its own without the crossover will give me a false reading to when the crossover is in line?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 10:12am
Measuring the components of the system solo will show any problems or anomalies before you start adding xovers, eq, etc. Well worth doing in order to give you a base line from where to work.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 10:33am
I do have the 13s, and the comp measured separately just not the 2 and 1
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 1:53pm
You’re talking about the BMS coaxial HF? It’s one unit and should always be wired the same on both pairs of inputs on the driver.

Treat it as one driver. Because that’s what it is.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2019 at 11:23am
Just an update on this for those interested. 
I made more measurements last night outside, and at better distance from the speaker. And the dip was still there at the crossover point.
I have inverted the 1" which not only removes the dip but sounds a lot better that way. 
I have now found a picture of the crossover and 4592 wiring from another vnet100 cab, and that is also wired with the 1" inverted. So that confirms to me that the previous owner has had the drivers out and put them back in with incorrect wiring.
I understand the last comment saying the 4592 is one driver and should be treated as such, but that is only true when a crossover with a 12db filter is involved. Which naturally flips the 1".
Tannoy don't actually have any filters in place, just 1 cap is on the board. So the 1" needs to be physically inverted for it to work. 
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2019 at 11:59am
Not totally true - normally, the polarity flip would be produced in the passive xover supplied with the driver, or done in the amp module / DSP preset.

Flipping in the box is likely to lead to confusion, like yours, at a later date. Either way glad it seems sorted. You can of course easily measure at low level with just the separate diaphragms if you want to be 100% sure and save a ‘polaroid’ set of traces for reference in future.

Edited by toastyghost - 24 January 2019 at 12:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>