Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPX’s on a genny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPX’s on a genny
    Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:54pm
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on running my little system off a generator. I currently have a 4-way setup that uses old Citronic PPX’s. I have...

1 - A 1600 which powers 2 x scoops on the A channel and 2 15” reflex kicks on the B channel, both at four ohms.

2 - A 900 which powers 12” mids in stereo.

3 - A 450 for the tweeter box on top.

How feasible would it be to run this setup off a genny? I’m guessing unlikely....?!

If not, what amps would anyone recommend I buy secondhand that would be better suited to a power supply from a diesel generator?

Thanks, Scott.

Edited by scott_fury - 21 January 2019 at 9:55pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:03pm
How big is your generator?
100% Earth Moving Bass
scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

How big is your generator?

I don’t have one. The organiser is gonna hire one from Alide or HSS. I’m guessing the amps and other kit will dictate the size, but I don’t know if old PPX’s and diesel genny’s go well together?

I know the 1600 can give a bit of kick when it turns on.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:30pm
I run mine off generators as much as normal mains. Smallest I ever used was 10kva I think.
It coughed a little when you first turn the amps on but after that it’s fine. They don’t worry bigger generators at all.
100% Earth Moving Bass
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:56pm
That lot will run fine off a small half decent genny with AVR. Stick a high power rating light on it (400w flood or similar) to give it some stable load and you will be laughing. A Honda EG series will be more than enough. I have run 4 scoops with a lot more powerful amps than you have off those many times and apart from running out of fuel I have never had an issue.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 9:27pm
That’s great, thanks for the words of advice.

The only info on the amps i can find is what is on the back, where it states the VA. I have a 900 kicking about at home which says it does 1500VA. I have no idea what the power factor is in these amps to get convert VA to W, so i’ll just add these three values together, the add 10% to get the size of the genny? 

Guessing somewhere around a 7kva would be about right?

I’ll have decks, mixer and LMS as well, but imagine the current demand of these to be pretty low.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2019 at 1:33am
People always over estimate current draw on small rigs. Honestly that lot will run fine off a 3.5KVa, get a 5KVa if you want to be really safe but for reference I ran 4 scoops off a 5Kva Honda EG many times with no issues with my old amps (EV P3000, Matrix XP5000, Matrix STR2400, Matrix UKP1300 & Behringer EP2500) + DSP + decks + 2 x QSC K12 Monitors many times with no issue.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
 Post Reply Post Reply