Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 v simple system for reggae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 7:37am
actually you should hear a tham  12 before you build anything, half the size of the 15  with excellent  output.

Edited by concept-10 - 01 February 2019 at 7:39am
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 3:29pm
in a perfect world I would love to hear then before I build , but I live in the whield west of Wales , so not a lot of opetunetys to listen , 

I made the decision to go fore the 15 in stead of the 12 because I can get a more efficient driver fore the 15 " bang for bucks" ?
But if It,s half the size I should think about it , ( I ceep thinking that I have got it doun and then changing my mind ) 😬

Thanks jay

concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 3:43pm
Seriously the tham 12 with the correct driver will do what you want, 100db 1w 1m, it's a great little cab, you will be very surprised.
REIER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 4:21pm
You cannot go wrong with the thams. they will blow your mind, this I can promise you. I literally had tears in eyes when I first fired up my tham15s. And build two of them, you wont be sorry. 

I have not heard the tham12, but I have read alot on the forums that people have been really surprized by their output. The 15 will dig 10hz lower then the 12, and this IS a noticeable difference. Tham15 will play flat down to approx 47 ish hz, the 12 will do approx 57hz (in theory). I would not sacrifice those 10 hz because of size, the tham15 is already a very compact build. Of course, if you build the 12" version, you could probably take one sub in each hand and carry it by your self.

I have not researched the field of diy pa tops that much yet, so I don't have that many suggestions to give unfortunately. But what I can tell you about the boominator is that they will not let you down if you separate the sides and use them as satelites. And they will satisfy your ears just by them selves if you go to the beach and dont want to carry the whole rig. They have mighty sound for such a small build, and they dont use electricity at all. If you want to run them by them selves, all you need is a 12v amp board 15wattx2, and with a 12v 10ah battery they will play from friday to sunday non stop, it is just insanely redicolous how efficient they are. And loud. And crystal clear. Downside is that it will be loud in the djbooth with a full soundsystem, since thay are playing both ways. They DJ will need some ear protection ;)

Other than that I plan to build BFMs Omnitop12 for this summer. I have not heard it myself, but it is supposed to be a efficient design. But I will choose the version with CD horn, not the one with tweeter piezo array, I do not have much faith in that one. If you build Omnitop12, you have tops that will allow for expansion later. You could easily upgrade with two more subwoofers and two midsections, without having to build more tops;)

Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:04pm
Lots of info already posted. so I will just add a few comments.
If you use car amplifiers and 8 ohm bass drivers if you power each driver using bridged amplifier channels it will be fairly optimal as you will get the 4 ohm rated power X  the 2 channels.
You need to decide how big a system you can cope with. Tham 12 are good but SS15 will blow it away, but its BIGGER, you might get up to 103db/W out of a SS15.
If you consider any of the tapped horn designs. The mid tops will need to get down maybe to 100= 120hz. If you build conventional mid top designs I would look at 12 inch mids to get efficiency and bandwidth.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:06pm
is the ss15 mote efficient than the tham 15? Can't be many people that have heard them a to b.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:54pm
Size matters!
Click the image to open in full size.
Tried to find some data but did not have to hand so found this instead!
(That Tham is toast)....
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

I believe a 15" scoop is the smallest rear-loaded horn worth building however I had to make a 12" version due to certain limitations. I have no idea how this type of "NBA scoop" will perform since I only downscaled the width and depth from the 15" plan, but it effectively keeps the horn path the same length... it's for low-mids anyway.

EDIT : my hypothesis is that it will just roar, ie. lacking punch but it's exactly what I'm sort of after.. the system has a dedicated 15" low end.

That's because you haven't got a clue. 

No one is discussing your guesswork scoops and they don't help the original poster.

Ignore this and follow the tham 15 or jbells ss15 route. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

Size matters!
Click the image to open in full size.
Tried to find some data but did not have to hand so found this instead!
(That Tham is toast)....

Ha ha, that's what i found when i googled,  hence the question!

Edited by JonB67 - 01 February 2019 at 11:31pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:36pm
and what knowledge do you have of the efficiency of the 15" tapped horns in relation to your single scoop

That's the point when people are recommending tapped horns.

If you dont get it,  how do you propose to help?
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 12:01am
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

I can't say I've built or heard a tapped horn but some people seem to use them.. I think it's wiser to build a tall scoop and saw off the excess in case it doesn't work than build a short one and try to put an extension to it, standard sized sheets of wood are 1220mm wide after all.

Mods - please preserve this somewhere. It deserves a place somewhere near the top of the list of "all-time idiotic posts of all time".

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 12:28am
oh man that is a classic quote haha. seriously efinque. that's the funniest thing i've read here in years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>