Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yet another laptop noise problem - hdmi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 7:59pm
When I had my repair business I regularly had mixing decks in with input channels blown due to the DJ removing the laptop psu ground to solve this issue then plugging the laptop into the grounded mixer!!  

As Kevin correctly pointed out the problem with class 1 psu is that they have a higher leakage current than the non-earthed class 2 supplies (3.5mA leakage for class 1 IT equipment, 0.25mA for class 2), and when the earth is disconnected the output from the PSU sits with 115-120Volts leakage on the output (although at low current: @ up-to 3.5mA), when the laptop is then plugged into a grounded piece of equipment the 115-120Volt leakage is then dissipated to ground via the equipment often frying it in the process.    

Edited by APW - 05 February 2019 at 8:19pm
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

When I had my repair business I regularly had mixing decks in with input channels blown due to the DJ removing the laptop psu ground to solve this issue then plugging the laptop into the grounded mixer!!  

As Kevin correctly pointed out the problem with class 1 psu is that they have a higher leakage current than the non-earthed class 2 supplies (3.5mA leakage for class 1 IT equipment, 0.25mA for class 2), and when the earth is disconnected the output from the PSU sits with 115-120Volts leakage on the output (although at low current: @ up-to 3.5mA), when the laptop is then plugged into a grounded piece of equipment the 115-120Volt leakage is then dissipated to ground via the equipment often frying it in the process.    

I see your point

do you feel studio45s suggestion of running a bond to the laptop/psu 0v rail is a sensible one?

I assume that it isnt done because my laptop would no longer be a class 2 device which no doubt has ramifications in compliance

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Can you add a real earth connection - put on a 3-pin plug, add a green/yellow wire - and tie it to the power supply output's 0v side? Unsure of the safety implications of that, but it should ensure that the lowest impedance path for noise is not through the HDMI grounds any more!

Edited by godathunder - 05 February 2019 at 9:20pm
LOUDER THAN LOUD
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:55pm
In the past I have just hunted down a class 2 laptop psu on fleabay with the same voltage and current specs, chopped the end off my old psu and soldered it to the class 2.
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:55pm
I had the issue with this noise through headphone socket through d.i box into desk I tried the naughty remove earth wire the actual PSU didnt work 

I removed the earth in the XLR connections and that cut it out but now use a usb sound card as well now nothing spectacular but it does the job 
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 2:24pm
For a year or so I had an aftermarket, "double-insulated" (no earth pin) supply for my Macbook that worked as a bad neutral detector - if the neutral was even slightly higher impedance than it should be, you'd get a LOVELY 160v AC measurable on the laptop's metal casing, and a detectable "zap" if you touched it while well-grounded. God only knows what it was doing to the DC-in board. At other times, no problem. I thought it was an intermittent fault until I realised it only happened in certain buildings. Oddly though, it never gave a me noise on the audio.
But then, it did only cost £13 delivered, as opposed to £90+ for a real Apple unit. I was about to add a ground wire to it, then it died completely, so I just got another one, and that doesn't do it at all!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 9:12pm
what model laptop is it ? dells for example the older laptop PSU's had no earths and work fine on the newer laptops . 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

In the past I have just hunted down a class 2 laptop psu on fleabay with the same voltage and current specs, chopped the end off my old psu and soldered it to the class 2.

This.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2019 at 8:38am
an obvious bodge solution presented itself

laptop direct to tv (class 2) via hdmi

tv to decoder via optical

nasty noises has done goned

still passes 5.1 audio in most formats Im likely to need although Im not going to be able to pass the higher resolution formats (not that makes a lot of difference given the state of my hearing) 

btw, on the subject of higher res formats, does anyone know of a dirt cheap hdmi extractor decodes dsd to dolby digital or similar? 

I picked one of these up which suggests dsd compatibility but doesnt seem to support it in practice

LOUDER THAN LOUD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123