Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tweeter advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie3686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tweeter advice
    Posted: 04 February 2019 at 1:27pm
Hi. I have 2 pairs of speakers which I use for birthday parties for my kids, and friends, it doesn't have to be perfect as it's not a professional setup. 

However one of the pairs sounds very flat. They are cheap, but serve the purpose. I played around with a spare tweeter I had and it sounded better, but would like to do something more permanent. 

I'd like to build a pair of separate tweeter boxes that I can use when needed. I've read that compression drivers are better than the cheaper piezo types, but I have no idea about crossovers and resistors, etc - or whether I even need them.

Any advice would be appreciated - please keep it simple as I'm not experienced in speaker building. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 1:33pm
what have you got already?
ollie3686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie3686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 7:20pm
The bad ones are a pair of Skytec 12” 250w speakers. Very cheap. 
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 8:32pm
how much do you want to spend?

Im sure youre aware that its not really worth throwing very much at them

do you know whats in there already? is the horn reusable, does the driver bolt on or screw on etc etc

even a dirt cheap compression driver, horn and xover is going to cost 60+ quid per cab

you can pick up this sort of thing pretty cheaply

but it is cheap for a reason, still needs a crossover and is ideal if you really dislike the people youre playing the music at

sadly, unless you stumble across an astonishing bargain youre likely to find it more cost effective to buy a better set of used speakers on ebay/gumtree etc for not more cash than youd need to do anything worthwhile with your current speakers
LOUDER THAN LOUD
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by ollie3686 ollie3686 wrote:

The bad ones are a pair of Skytec 12” 250w speakers. Very cheap. 

not worth doin anything to them unless its bonfire nite LOL  u can pick up a used pair of monitors for not a lot of money Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
ollie3686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie3686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:15pm
Didn’t really want to touch them but instead build a separate tweeter box, or do you not think that’s worth doing either?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by ollie3686 ollie3686 wrote:

Didn’t really want to touch them but instead build a separate tweeter box, or do you not think that’s worth doing either?

I would wire up 4x pizeos in parallel and stick a 10watt 8ohm shunt in series... the shunt will soften the harshness a little but will add a little sparkle and it's super cheap... it's not the best solution by any stretch but will at a little top end. I wouldn't "upgrade" them anymore then that as the investment would be like burning a £20 note.

The advise would be just start saving and in the long run buy second hand branded speakers.

Skytec is not worth the investment... so get about 8x pizeos (4x per box) and just try to soften the sound with a shunt or two. Don't go any further then that me old china
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ollie3686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie3686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 6:40am
Thanks mini-mad, sound like what I’m after. By shunt you mean a resistor right? (Apologies for the ignorance?)I get wiring the piezo’s jb parallel, but where do you add the shunt? Also does thos avoid the need for a crossover?

Edited by ollie3686 - 05 February 2019 at 8:02am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 7:56am
All the components for Skytek are available on ebay and they are cheap, take your tweeter out and compare it, it's the easiest solution. 
ollie3686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie3686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 8:03am
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

All the components for Skytek are available on ebay and they are cheap, take your tweeter out and compare it, it's the easiest solution. 

Thanks but I didn’t really want to touch the Skytecs, I was hoping to build something separate which I’ll still have when I replace the skytecs 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 10:45am
Ok, when you replace the skyteks for something better you will not need what you are building.
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 1:21pm

Imho have a shop round on eBay you could get something better than skytec/qtx for less than £100 if it's only for you and your mates etc look at wharfedale Peavey etc
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>