Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warning, scammers on the phone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning, scammers on the phone.
    Posted: 09 February 2019 at 3:07pm
Just had a call, supposedly from BT. Starts with a recorded message to say my internet connection will be terminated tomorrow. "Press 1 if you want to speak to an advisor".

Got through to a lady, who tried to get me to go onto the screen to tell me how to fix the problem. I was suspicious from the start so hung up. She immediately phoned me back and almost threatened she was going to discontinue my connection if I didn't do what she wanted. I told her to do whatever she needed.

Went onto the Help "Chat" at BT and they informed me there was no problem with my account and call was a scam. They blocked the number and assured me my internet will continue.

Just a warning for everyone.

Edited by markie - 09 February 2019 at 3:08pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2019 at 10:51pm
Had this a couple of times, the last time we had a phone call from a guy claiming there was something wrong with our internet and could we log on to a computer or laptop in the house so that he could check something or other, my missus took the phonecall and strung it out for ages, telling the guy she was on the laptop and pretending to do what he was saying whilst actually sat on the sofa doing f'k all! After dragging it out for a while she said we haven't actually got a computer, the guy got quite pissy and hung up after that. LOL
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2019 at 11:14pm
I was living on the second floor a while back... SOME HOW one of those PVC house extenstion companies got my number. I sounded super happy he called and got him all the way to the sale point and having a guy come around to measure up... and it was at that point I told him to bring a ladder to take outside measurements as I don't have big enough windows on the second floor for them to hang out of so they can measure up properly...

HE screamed at ME for wasting HIS time!!! LOLLOL

Edited by mini-mad - 09 February 2019 at 11:14pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 1:57am
Oh how I love winding those people up!
Your computer is running slowly sir....
100% Earth Moving Bass
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 2:33am
i once had an indian fellow on the phone to me about a virus on my microsoft computer, eventually he yelled "sir you are wasting my time!".. i said "yes.. i am."
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 11:30am
Yep, the accident I had, the one on the roundabout where I was driving me car with the kids in the back, yes, last June, yep, someone smashed into me, no, i never made a claim for personal injury, yes, my neck really hurts, has done since then, keep it going, keep it going... finally, my email address? I'll need to spell it out, its a weird one... S-T-O-P-W-A-S-T-I-N-G-M-Y-T-I-M-E-Y-O-U-C-R-E-T-I-N

I can waste their time as much as I can waste the time of a Jehova's witness, always love that one, I can chat for ages (politely) with them about how most things in the bible are from an age when murder, rape, bigotry and racism were all perfectly acceptable and that's their only moral compass, oh and they love metaphysics...
blah blah blah blah blah......
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 11:51am
I started to get these problems when I hit 60 (along with the 'Tena For Men' ads) - do they really believe over 60s are all bed wetting PC-illiterate morons? We often get several a day at home - same MO ie recorded voice telling me my ISP will shortly disconnect my internet access. Along with the Microsoft calls telling me my PC has a virus (the-inevitably-Indian call centre at the other end gets a torrent of abuse from me or my wife) their number is added to my blocked list (1572 on BT lines). The numbers are inevitably either direct from India (Indian International dialling code) or are 'piped' from India and show up as either a local or, more often, UK number.
I have watched several of the 'scam the scammers'  videos on YouTube and may one day try it out myself but at the moment the verbal abuse is cathartic enough for me (and I can't be arsed to play silly games - there are enough people doing that already).
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 12:14pm
A whistle by the phone works wonders
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 12:52pm
Have already had 2 calls this morning..... same as my original post.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:30pm
I never get these fun phone calls.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

Have already had 2 calls this morning..... same as my original post.
Just play along... and pretend to be uber stupid constantly asking them to repeat what they say as you're going deaf.. asking them to spell out almost everything they say!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Just play along... and pretend to be uber stupid constantly asking them to repeat what they say as you're going deaf.. asking them to spell out almost everything they say!

^^^ This!
Or sometimes I tell them I haven't got a C drive... on my Mac, or Linux machine.
Or I haven't got a computer, but I have got a deep love for God and ask them if they'd like to hear me preach.

Since using the last one a few times I haven't had a single call from any of the scammers. Shame, as I enjoyed it!

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>