Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refinishing recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refinishing recommendation
    Posted: 09 February 2019 at 4:39pm
i've got some cabinets that are a bit tatty and could do with refinishing. 

I'm looking for recommendations on a hard wearing finish to use and any notes on process. 

Not fussed about originality. 
Don't really mind what the "finish" is textured etc or not. 

Happy with using, brush, roller, textured roller, have compressor and small spray gun. But spray has to be "reasonably lung friendly" as I'd do this either in a shed or outside with a filter mask, (don't have air fed mask.) 

Happy with "out there" suggestions (like tinted resin as a finish etc.) 

An idea of cost and coverage would be nice too :) 

djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 12:31am
tuff cab ? Aldcrofts? 
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 12:37am
Somebody resurrected an old thread from Mykey who had a formula for speaker paint. Might be worth a read:-

If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 3:17pm
I've always had good results with lots and lots of Tuff-Cab. If you put on about 5-7 coats it should last quite well. It dries quickly so you can do at least 2 coats in a day, three at a push in a warm workshop.

You can apply it with any roller really, I have used both the fine foam "gloss" rollers and the more carpety "emulsion" types, it looks best if you use a minimally textured rolller for the base coats and sand flat in between coats. For the final coat you can use a super-coarse "Artex" type roller to get a nice textured finish, if you like. Everything will clean up with water.

It's just a lot nicer to work with, and cheaper, than any oil or epoxy based finish. Not as hardwearing certainly, but if you use plenty of coats it looks good still. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply