Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weatherproof audio boxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherproof audio boxes
    Posted: 10 February 2019 at 10:53am
Does anyone know where I can get IP66 (or similar) rated boxes that I can use to connect to balanced XLR sockets? These should be similar to the common 13a mains sockets but which could be adapted to XLRs. 
Basically, I'm looking to run two or three cables out to my garden so that I can connect active speakers.
Grateful for all suggestions,
S

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 2:07pm
...and the reason you can use a bunch of Bluetooth speakers?

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 4:22pm
Bluetooth won't work - gardn is too big. 
S
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 4:41pm
100v line?... a single cable run around the fence hooked up to multiple speakers?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 6:10pm
Simplest solution is just to get a generic IP67 box and some cable glands.  Just coil up the end of the cables in the box and put the lid on when you're not using them.  I'm assuming you're not trying to make the connections waterproof when in use.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 6:50pm
Yes, I think that's the solution but I'd like the waterproof locking cover that the 13A sockets have. Do you know if you can get bone of these and remove the gubbins? I've never installed one.
S
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 7:39pm
I’ve used a 13a weatherproof, covered socket before on many occasions for tv points outside, removed the 13a plate and replaced with a single gang coax point (will be similar to a 1 gang xlr plate).
It was a bit of a faff finding the right plate that fits the box due to tight dimensions.

You might just be able to close the lid while plugged in you buy angled xlr connectors but again it will be a tight fit.
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:25pm
Bg weather proof sockets have removable internals leaving you with a nice lockable ip  rated box

Screw fix  15quid

Check out big Clive on YouTube. He reviewed one recently 

Edited by chris_k - 10 February 2019 at 8:26pm
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:08pm
surely just use the 13a sockets and make up some 13a-xlr cables

I mean, what could possibly go wrong
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

surely just use the 13a sockets and make up some 13a-xlr cables

I mean, what could possibly go wrong
Hah! I might just do that.
S
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 11:25pm
Neutrik do sell IP67 rated xlr connectors, in line and panel-mount, which might be nice if it rains while you're using them:

...although I'd be rilly careful about active speakers in the wet.

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:58am
Recently did the FBU's fire engine conversion, and stuck some speakon outlets in such a box.

Bought one of the single 13A socket outlet hinged lidded IP66 ones, ripped out the 13A socket, put a metal plate in its place, and punched a 24mm Qmax hole for standard neutrik cut out. Lid with hinge to top, offers in use "roof", and then sealed when unused.

Bit of a faff, but worked.

Less faff, but not cheap, Off the shelf, Canford, do them - Link
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>