Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active Subs, separate enclosure for amp???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active Subs, separate enclosure for amp???
    Posted: 10 February 2019 at 12:10pm
The reason I ask. I have a couple of older Tannoy active subs, which I was going to use for home. They have a 12" Volt driver, which was basically one of the old PS series (Pressed steel), but with a hefty rubber surround. Driver is rated @ 100w and is 6 ohm impedence. Original plate amps are 100w I believe. Original cab is sealed, not vented.

I was  going to upgrade the amps to the BK BSBP 275 But they won't fit, so the original plan was to make a new back. Having taken out the driver and existing plate amp I find there's a separate compartment for the plate amp.

Overall depth of the cab is 325mm, but the actual driver compartment is just 190 deep. So if the separate enclosure is not necessary, I could re-make the cab quite a bit smaller and still retain the same internal volume for the driver.

Any reason why I can't do it.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 12:47pm
I think I've answered this myself. I just checked the BK website and it states the amp doesn't need a separate enclosure. Presumably because of the substantial heat sink, which makes up most of the face plate. Original amps just have a plain face-plate.

I did wonder about porting the new cabs, but I have no TSPs to model it. Volt sent be a data sheet for the standard driver (PS12-150), but I guess this one (PS12-150-5), was a special for Tannoy with the rubber surround. Presumably that changes the TSPs???

Is it worth trying a port? If so what size/freq. Or should I just go with a sealed cab of original volume.

Edited by markie - 10 February 2019 at 12:48pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 2:05pm
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If you liked the sound of the sub before you started to fiddle with it why not just rebuild it the way it was(?) 

You must have kept the sub for a reason... and even if the plate amp was lacking a little before hand, there's no need to completely change the sub enclosure altogether. Just rebuild it to the original size and use the external BK amp to drive it

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 2:23pm
I have to do something as the BK amp doesn't fit, The overall size of the BK amp  is smaller than the original so the existing cut-out is too big. Plus the original cab is some sort of high density chipboard and the back is not easy to replace.

So I might as well make a new ply cab, which will be smaller and lighter.

It's not intended as a gigging system, it will mainly be for home use. I'm too old for gigging now, but I just want some sort of PA system for anything that comes along. I have 4 x Tannoy i8s, so 2 of these will hopefully add enough bottom end to make an acceptable noise.

I'll build one to start with and if it works out I'll buy a second BK sub amp.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 2:32pm
why not cut a piece of mdf/ply to fit the existing cutout and then cut that out for the bk amp?
surely easier than remaking the entire box
LOUDER THAN LOUD
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 3:59pm
I did consider that but the existing cabs have a sort of plastic (black ash) veneer which would be impossible to match, plus the edging laminates are peeling so probs best to make new, smaller, lighter cab.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 4:44pm
Then the solution is to make an absolute identical enclosure but with the cut out at the correct size for the BK amp.

Surely that's a "job done!"
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply