Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 4594nd, convince me to buy it :D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMS 4594nd, convince me to buy it :D
    Posted: 15 February 2019 at 4:37pm
Hello all.

I am trying to justifie a purchase of 4pcs of BMS 4594nd HF drivers instead of Faital HF144. 

They are going to be used on some 18sound  XT1464 horns alongside 2pcs of 18sound 12ND930. 
One horn between two 12".

I have never heard a BMS, so i dont know what to expect. 
I could also go for some of the Nice B&C drivers, but still..  Are the BMS that much better since its that more expensive?

The original box has the 18ND930 and Faital HF144, but if BMS is so much better, i guess it cant hurt anything than my bank accounts 😄
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 4:52pm
18sound also make some extremely nice compression drivers, esp on that horn... in particular the ND1480 and the NSD1480N

Just to make your task even more difficult! apologies 
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Jimmer Jimmer wrote:

18sound also make some extremely nice compression drivers, esp on that horn... in particular the ND1480 and the NSD1480N

Just to make your task even more difficult! apologies 

Well.... Thank you for that! Tongue
Will give them a look. Just to make things even more difficult LOL
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 7:01pm
Ok here goes: I'm a former HF144 owner. They were ok drivers but I was never that happy with how they sounded at war volume. Maybe it was the p-audio horn they were on as a combo but they just couldn't justify staying.

My favourite comp is an 18sound but not one of the above. I really like the NSD1095N. I've not had any other comps that sound that good. If the NSD1480N sounds as good as the 1" then it'd be a really serious contender against the BMS and much easier to deal with.
Don't test the champignon sound
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 8:53pm
I like the idea of using 18sound comps on 18sound horns. So i will for sure have a look into them also.

If it wasnt because they are so bloody expensive, i would buy a couple of different comps and A/B test them. But One driver is Hard to sell on the 2nd hand marked. A set would be easyer.

Looking forward to some more oppinions on this subject Smile
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 7:26am
I have that the BMS comp and horn combo in one of my systems and I've always thought it to be and excellent combination.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 4:50pm
I have some second hand 4594s and xt1464s for sale, will this pursuade you? :)

Edited by JEB88 - 16 February 2019 at 4:50pm
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by JEB88 JEB88 wrote:

Not really as I allready got the horns 🙂
But Thanks for the offer. 
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 3:12am
You will need the Low Crossover capabilities of the coax in a pseudo d'appolito driver arrangement (mid - horn-mid vertical) because otherwise you will get drastical beaming in the Crossover region. About 90cm vertical source Expansion at 1000Hz will result in a ~25° directivity, so shifting that to 750 Hz for example would greatly improve the energy Transfer function of your soeaker. That is your biggest concern,soundwise there are a lot of modern HF drivers Meeting highest Standards and It ultimately is down to Personal preference again, titan or Polymer, Ring or Dome etc.

Edited by corell - 17 February 2019 at 3:14am
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by JEB88 JEB88 wrote:

4594HE ? :)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:19pm
Why thi hype for the HE versions? I dont get it. They only differece is the prolongued phase plug that is making very slight changes in the very top end that to me are not all that important when you are using a DSP anyway. Take a look at the freq responce of bothe 4594 and 4594HE and tell me you can justify the price difference.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 1:51pm
No just the standard 4594nd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>