Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any cheap amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 11:27am
I just don’t have that mouth money and the car amps seems to be cheaper
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 11:29am
Thanks I will definitely look at some of the others.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

car amps... same story as the speakers.

If you're fitting it in your car then it's ideal.  If you want PA then buy PA kit (unless you're off grid or need it to be 12v portable due to no power)

+1

The car amps are ok - if you´re making a 12V/24V system, otherwise no. Like car speakers, they have horribly inflated ratings and bottom line is you get what you pay for!

If your system is for 'normal' use, buy a standard amp. Thomann have a few that are good value for money. Otherwise, look at the 2nd hand market. There are plenty of bargains out there. And if you only want to drive a single 8 ohm speaker, you can buy a smaller amp and use bridge mode. Simple.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

car amps... same story as the speakers.

If you're fitting it in your car then it's ideal.  If you want PA then buy PA kit (unless you're off grid or need it to be 12v portable due to no power)

+1

The car amps are ok - if you´re making a 12V/24V system, otherwise no. Like car speakers, they have horribly inflated ratings and bottom line is you get what you pay for!

If your system is for 'normal' use, buy a standard amp. Thomann have a few that are good value for money. Otherwise, look at the 2nd hand market. There are plenty of bargains out there. And if you only want to drive a single 8 ohm speaker, you can buy a smaller amp and use bridge mode. Simple.

But how big is the difference. Right now I just want something decent, not bad. So would it be a possibility, or just a waste of money. I’ve found a few second hand. But the shipping is more then the actual amp.
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 4:42pm
Some more info on your situation would be useful, for example, what are you intending to use the system for? In car entertainment? Home cinema use? small house parties? Big parties in a hall? How many people are you playing for 5? 50? 250? Indoor or outdoor? If you’re using it in an average size lounge, then that speaker might just about do it. Drive it using something like Behringer Nx 1000/3000, one channel for bass, the other for mid/tops. If, however, you want to cover 150 odd people, think in terms of something like RCF 18G401 driven by QSC RMX2450a, in bridged mode. Also do yourself a favour and download WINISD, speaker Cabinet design software.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Some more info on your situation would be useful, for example, what are you intending to use the system for? In car entertainment? Home cinema use? small house parties? Big parties in a hall? How many people are you playing for 5? 50? 250? Indoor or outdoor? If you’re using it in an average size lounge, then that speaker might just about do it. Drive it using something like Behringer Nx 1000/3000, one channel for bass, the other for mid/tops. If, however, you want to cover 150 odd people, think in terms of something like RCF 18G401 driven by QSC RMX2450a, in bridged mode. Also do yourself a favour and download WINISD, speaker Cabinet design software.

I’m trying to build a loud speaker on a budget(300$) for party’s. So from 10-50 people. And about the winisd. I can’t right now I’m on vacation and is first coming home at Wednesday.

My dad has a friend who also like to build speakers for a hobby. So I think I also could get a little help from him. But right now I just want to foccus on the bass. Take it step by step. I have a little speaker at home I can use. Then I want to add bass, and in the way then add mid range and horn, when I get enough money.

Edited by Visti - 16 February 2019 at 5:06pm
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Visti Visti wrote:

But how big is the difference.
Mains (100-240v AC) powered amplifiers have lots of components in their power supply circuitry, often more than are in the actual amplifier circuit.

Car amps contain fewer power supply components, relying on the car battery or alternator to supply power (11-16v DC)

All (well, most) amplifiers use a DC voltage for powering the amplifier stage, but mains amplifiers can easily supply much higher voltages than car amplifiers, because their power supply starts high (240v) not low (12v).  Consequently, mains-powered amplifiers can run higher than 12v power busses.

A car amplifier is only half an amplifier - it doesn't have the power supply  built in that a mains amplifier has, you have to either build one or use a battery & charging system.

That's why you need a proper mains-powered amplifier, even if they're twice the price of a car amplifier.

Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 7:06pm
I think i have found a cheap and good amp. I was just wondering if the tweeter and mid range. Will have to use as many watts or about the same. Just so I know if it could be smart to buy an more expensive amp. But at the end cheaper when I also need power for the two others.

I also would like to know if you can use an 2 ohm amp with the 8 ohm speaker or if that would be dumb.If not then I haven’t found an good amp.

Edited by Visti - 16 February 2019 at 7:09pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 7:17pm
Which amp have you found?
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

It’s a nx1000

And I’m trying to pair it with a p-audio e18-elf

Edited by Visti - 16 February 2019 at 8:05pm
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Visti Visti wrote:

Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

It’s a nx1000

And I’m trying to pair it with a p-audio e18-elf

NX1000 In bridge mode, will make a noise with that driver, but if using the 8 ohm version, I feel it would be a bit underpowered. If budget can stretch, go for NX3000
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 8:53pm
I unfortunately don’t enough money for the 3000 is in my budget.

Edited by Visti - 16 February 2019 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>