Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunUpEvents_LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction...
    Posted: 19 February 2019 at 2:32pm
Hi,
my names Callum and ive been lurking on this forum for a good few years now looking for bits of technical advice here and there, and now ive come to begin building what i would describe as a 'propper soundsystem', i have decided to make an account.

to give a bit of background about myself:
having grown up in ladbroke grove around alot of music events and soundsystem culture, i have always been fascinated with sound and music, and more specifically sound-systems (never missed a carnival since i was about 5). This fascination lead to me purchasing a pair of cheap skytec 10 inch speakers when i was about 12 or 13, and i began to dabble with mixing as well. This fascination quickly turned into a passion, and pretty much as soon as I could (probably about 14/15) I bought a pair of yamaha full range speakers from cash converters. I then proceded to continue upgrading my gear, grabbing some cheap subwoofers, amps, couple more midtops, and some new signal processing and mixing/source equipment as and when I could.

I continued to develop my skills and expertise as well, playing out at various speakeasy style parties. At the age of 16, in the hope of going a bit bigger, I got involved with organising some ermmmmmmmm lets say less than legitimate events which went well but i only dabbled with that for a short while.
around a year and a half ago, i also got aquainted with Rapattack Sound System (all saints rd) at carnival (complete accident.. just wanted to know what their jbl acounstic lenses were can explain if ur curious) aand have essentially been doing a bit of a 'sound system apprentiship' with them for a while now, supporting them at carnival and events and gaining experince and skills along the way.

now that i am 18 I finally have enough money to, as i mentioned before, build what i would consider to be a 'propper sound' and thus ive now made an account here so i can learn and share knolwedge as well.

so far, if you are wondering ive got 4 ohm TRS 218 MKII, a peavy 2600 amp which i will use to drive tops, a berry super x which i may use or replace with better, and assorted decks, lights, mixers, controllers, other bits of signal processing and a load of speakons and misc signal and power cables.
trs218 probably gonna run off of a proline 3000 or ohm cfu a3 but i will make another post about that as i got a couple questions.

I am planning to get an eq to put between mixer and x-over, probably a dbx 231 (anyone got one going??), and will probably borrow mids and tops for my next event so that i can then reinvest in some propper mids and tops.

in the slightly longer term i am probably looking for some martin phillishaves for mid, and not 100% on tops rn but got a few ideas depending whats around when it comes to sorting them out.

So yeah, hi, and thanks to anyone whose posts on here might have helped me over the years (probably most of the main posters on here and too many to list, think you all know who you are)

Edited by TunUpEvents_LDN - 22 February 2019 at 6:43am
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 2:41am
Hey Callum,

Have you thought about going with TRS212 mid/tops?

There are some floating around at them moment and it would mean a well matched system.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 8:54am
Hey mate,

Have you looked at the behringer ultra drive. I would get yourself in to DSP as soon as possible. The ultra drive is a great little starter unit. If you have a bit more money look at a XTA DP2xx
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply