Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS Midtops 15" + (2" + 1")

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMS Midtops 15" + (2" + 1")
    Posted: 03 March 2019 at 6:54am
Changing from one 2x12" Fan colossus low mid + one BMS 4590 on 2236 a side to 2x15" BMS 15n620 + two BMS 4590 per side.

Have x 4 mid highs built and also the x 4 low mids completed, bar the grills (pending delivery from Markie this week).

Original concept as per Fusion 360 CAD

Parts from CNC sitting in the music studio:

Fitting the 15"s and tee nuts

Starting to fit together, screws on top and bottom only

Adding port and bracing and then gluing and clamping

Adding speakon connectors, handles and wadding

Two of four lowmids after some poly and baffle strip/grill bracing

Checking response at 3m on axis, and 1.5m on and off axis

Having a test in the living room (good thing we live under the flight path!)

Response together at 3m on axis with light EQ and phase alignment, no smoothing

Response together at 1.5m on and off axis with light EQ and phase alignment, no smoothing (averaged)

More photos to come of all four midhighs and all four lowmids once grills arrive!

Edited by vertx - 04 March 2019 at 9:06am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2019 at 1:19pm
Really nice!! im not sure why but I always love the look of modular mid/highs like this . 

Tasty work! 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2019 at 2:00pm
That response looks amazing!!

I'm a fan of modular as well... maybe it's a psychological "more is better" reaction. Either way looks lovely.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2019 at 6:49pm

My project is taking very similar lines. Thams already made, final mid plus top design with CNC shop. Building in the next week or two. Two stacks initially but building up the parts for four. 15 is JBL 2226 and comp on the BMS 2236 is RCF ND950. You'll have a bit extra sparkle than me with those comps! Oh and what did you go for as a splay angle? Ran some very basic tests today with the test boxes I made, sounding pretty nice! Looking forward to final pics from you!
blah blah blah blah blah......
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:05am
Splay angle is 15 deg per side so 30 deg trap but I think they ended up slightly more by a degree or two.

Will run 2 per side when using in stereo and maybe just 3 if going mono single stack.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2019 at 10:39am
Very good job there. I love it.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2019 at 10:16pm
Tidy work there! Well done. Sometimes people think that use of CNC is somehow cheating in these matters but most have never tried to wrestle a CAD assembly into submission to GCode. It's just a completely different skillset to the more traditional route.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2019 at 12:40am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Tidy work there! Well done. Sometimes people think that use of CNC is somehow cheating in these matters but most have never tried to wrestle a CAD assembly into submission to GCode. It's just a completely different skillset to the more traditional route.
It's still box building. Just with a large injection of computers and the 21st century!!

The worst thing you can EVER say in business is "but this is how we've always done it...."

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

It's still box building. Just with a large injection of computers and the 21st century!!

The worst thing you can EVER say in business is "but this is how we've always done it...."

Every time I've done a build an cut ply myself with my circular saw I have not been happy with the end result, and it's taken much longer than I've had the patience for.

The CNC work is expensive but I try to keep costs down by only getting basic shapes and mitres done at the shop, then drill up the screw holes, route the edges, and plane and sand the edges and do the rest of the general cabinet finishing myself.
Jebimasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebimasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2019 at 8:55am
This has really given me the thirst for "unnecessary" upgrades Smile
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:05am

exactly, a cnc will only cut in the way its told to cut, the skill to finish a box has nothing to do with a cnc.
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:06am
Nice build good job m8t. on a future note, I would of rebated the cabs, no extra effort when you cnc cut the wood, but makes the cabs stronger.
https://www.elements-audio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>