FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New single BR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 11:02am
Yes I should make it clear that I refer only to small signal models, anything large signal is a different model of behaviour entirely. You always have to beware of modelling limitations to use one properly.

Sure you can also have series resistances with Cms etc too, you can put a resistor pretty much anywhere in an acoustic model to represent air leaks or enclosure wadding etc if you have a good reason to.

Another problem with regression of real data to TS models is that some elements (especially resistances) will compensate for the behaviour of one another. It is easy to overfit such a model with terms that can end up describing noise in the data - which is another world of science in it's own right.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 8:43am

I would be very afraid of such simplistic view, and very careful with conclusions based on these.

For example B&C drivers are known for that the suspension is the main mechanical limit of the cone excursion.

Therefore at some point, mostly Cms eats up the whole force developed by the voice coil (which is not that high, with 50% or more coil out of the magnetic field).

The Qms and Qes relations only work with small signals, and relations can get absolutely different in not that high excursion.

Also carefully about ignoring certain elements in the math, as their chronology is important for the outcome. Rms is not just static parallel element to the Cms and for all frequencies. You cannot deduce one from each other and count with it like that to reach the right outcome.

But I´m happy to see that communities are diving into this science deep stuff.. J

Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 7:51am
Was thinking a bit more on this, if you consider the modelled Cms as lossless (no capacitor in the real world is, but modelling...) then a stiffer suspension means for a given force a driver will displace less from its rest position than another with a higher compliance. But it doesn't tell you anything about how the motion of the driver will dampen once the force holding it in position is removed and it moves back towards its rest position. This is where Qms comes into play, in conjunction with Rms which represents the mechanical losses of the driver. Just thinking from common sense I would wager Rms has a lot to do with driver mass, Sd, and air resistance in general.

Generally it doesn't matter a lot because Qms is seen in parallel with Qes such that Qes dominates, and Qes is often much lower.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 12:19am
thanks
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Keen Keen wrote:

Hi odc04r, can you have a look at page 11 here:
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Know_How/Literature/Papers/Dynamical%20Measurement%20of%20Loudspeaker%20Suspension_Klippel.pdf

I'm reading it as: if losses of suspension parts are low, Qms is high. So if the suspension is losing nothing the QMS is infinite. Is it logical to then think a stiffer suspension is losing less, to its opposing force???

Many thanks
[/QUOTE]

The first part is right, if you have zero loss then QMS is infinite and if you were to excite the speaker then after you tool the signal away it would continue to move forever assuming no electrical losses. Think of a bell that rings for a long time when struck, that is a low loss high Q system.

When you model a speaker's mechanical side there is an inductor, resistor, and capacitor in parallel.  The inductor represents accelerating the speakers mass, the resistor represents the losses in the movement, and the capacitor represents the Cms of the driver which is the 'stiffness' as it defines how for the suspension wil move given an applied force. Because dispacing the suspension from its rest position stores energy (restoring force wants to go back to the centre) it behaves like a capacitor. So in the T/S modelling the stiffness of the suspension is considered seperate from the mechanical losses.

However in real common sense terms, you would consider that if a driver had high stiffness (low compliance) then your mechanical losses might also generally be higher. But not necessarily so...

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:32am
Just to throw a curveball, I may have some 21SW115 that I can do a pretty good price on...
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

"Q is a measure of energy stored divided by energy dissipated, meaning that higher Q means more energy storage Wink "Dissipated energy" is loss"
Joachim Gerhard of Audio Physik

So high QMS is stiffer supspension.

21DS115 and 18DS115 are horn drivers, thick heavy cones, big motors, low damping (because the bass horn does the damping)

the others are more suited to reflex.

hth

Slightly the other way around I think unless my mind is wandering again. Q ~ (stored energy)/(energy lost per cycle) so comparing different systems with the same stored energy the one with the highest Q is losing the least energy per cycle. In case of suspension that would be a loose driver which has the least resistance to movement. You can also think of Q as proportional to the number of oscillating cycles it takes a system to lose its stored energy.

A stiff suspension driver that offered higher resistance to movement would have a comparatively lower Q value as it would dissipate the same stored energy in less cycles, because each one is performing more work.

Think of it is your large voice coil strong motor drivers are all low Q(es) because the strong motor makes them highly electrically damped. Same works for the mechanical damping which is often also seen in lower Cms and higher cone mass for lower Q(ms) drivers. And then all of this features into with Fs also.

Q is quite a mathematical abstract thing, but it directly relates to the linear coefficient term of 2nd order differential equations which are also the same reason people talk about alignments such as Butterworth etc.  All loudspeaker equivalent circuits can be simplified to a series of 2nd order equations working in parallel with each other.

Hi odc04r, can you have a look at page 11 here:
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Know_How/Literature/Papers/Dynamical%20Measurement%20of%20Loudspeaker%20Suspension_Klippel.pdf

I'm reading it as: if losses of suspension parts are low, Qms is high. So if the suspension is losing nothing the QMS is infinite. Is it logical to then think a stiffer suspension is losing less, to its opposing force???

Many thanks
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 5:16am
What drives this choice? I would be thinking between LF18N405 vs 18SW115 at that point  
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:16pm
I've shortened the list to these two drivers:
18SW100
LF18N405

At the moment the 18TLW3000 is not worth the extra 400,- for four drivers.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:11pm

"Q is a measure of energy stored divided by energy dissipated, meaning that higher Q means more energy storage Wink "Dissipated energy" is loss"
Joachim Gerhard of Audio Physik

So high QMS is stiffer supspension.

21DS115 and 18DS115 are horn drivers, thick heavy cones, big motors, low damping (because the bass horn does the damping)

the others are more suited to reflex.

hth

Slightly the other way around I think unless my mind is wandering again. Q ~ (stored energy)/(energy lost per cycle) so comparing different systems with the same stored energy the one with the highest Q is losing the least energy per cycle. In case of suspension that would be a loose driver which has the least resistance to movement. You can also think of Q as proportional to the number of oscillating cycles it takes a system to lose its stored energy.

A stiff suspension driver that offered higher resistance to movement would have a comparatively lower Q value as it would dissipate the same stored energy in less cycles, because each one is performing more work.

Think of it is your large voice coil strong motor drivers are all low Q(es) because the strong motor makes them highly electrically damped. Same works for the mechanical damping which is often also seen in lower Cms and higher cone mass for lower Q(ms) drivers. And then all of this features into with Fs also.

Q is quite a mathematical abstract thing, but it directly relates to the linear coefficient term of 2nd order differential equations which are also the same reason people talk about alignments such as Butterworth etc.  All loudspeaker equivalent circuits can be simplified to a series of 2nd order equations working in parallel with each other.

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 9:50pm
Eerr Low Q means high damping, not low....
It is also obvious from low voltage sensitivity 18DS115 has.
It is not a good idea to chase low Qs with no other reason in mind. Low Qs really can get to a point of being enemies, if rest of the setup isn't offseting it somehow. I take low Q drivers for better for very different reasons.

Edited by Crashpc - 08 April 2019 at 9:50pm
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:59am
It's a bit tricky getting your head around Q, I haven't yet, and I remeber lots of seemingly contradicting statements that only make sense once you learn more. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>