Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neodym, additional cooling and other questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
siox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neodym, additional cooling and other questions
    Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:20pm
Hey everyone,

Couldn't find a new thread from the last two years which covers the topic of neodym speakers which could fit into the hd15 horn.

My plan is to put 2 per side under one Limmer 308 top. Low end will be covered by a Martin WS118X. 

Q1: Has anyone tested an up to date neo driver with the hd15's?

Q2: And would it make sense to install aluminium panels on the sides of the cabinet s for driver cooling purposes? I've good cnc & laser cutting contacts so it wouldn't be much effort for me to do it.

Maybe both ideas are over engineered for this cabinet and it's just fine to put a pd154 in, and build them like the original plan suggests.

Q3: I will build the curved section out of cnc milled semicircles and glue them together - in this case: does it make sense to modify the suggested brace and make it larger up to the leading edge of the cabinet? Could this affect the sound?

Q4: I would like to build them with the batten to attach grills easily - has anyone teste if  this changes the sound? It might be a problem because those wood pieces are at the end of the hornpath...

Q5: The backchamber volume is crucial for such constructs i guess - that leads me to my final questions: i would like to mill handles into the cabinet like most of the professional manufacturers do it. but that means that i 've to build little boxes inside the backchamber to seal the handle:

Can i afford to lose backchamber volume or not? Has anyone tested and measured a cabinet with and without handles? I see that some people use marshall style handles in theire HD15's - thats why i ask.

Please excuse my lousy english - im not a native speaker.

Thanks for your tim e & help.

Georg

Edited by siox - 16 March 2019 at 8:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply