Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice to upgrade soundsystem stack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice to upgrade soundsystem stack
    Posted: 21 March 2019 at 6:17pm
Hi,

I am thinking in upgrading my stack and I would need some advice as Im a bit confussed about how to proceed.

Mi current set is compossed of 2 mini scoops with Void 18 1000, 2 bass reflex 15" kicks and 2 full range mid tops. The thing is I am happy with the sound of the minis but I miss the bass pressure and the tipical hit in the chest I experience with many soundsystems with full sized scoops. Unfortunately I have never had the chance to see a full stack of mini scoops to have a refference of the difference of both.

I am contemplating two ways to upgrade.

- The first one and faster and most cost effective one would be adding 2 more mini scoops. If the difference stacking 4 minis was significative and I would get a decent bass pessure-punch I would go for them.

- The second one, If the desired goal could not be done with minis, would be to get 4 full scoops and use the minis I already have for the kick section.  For this I would need more time but I dont mind to wait if the difference is significative. Would the minis work for the kick section?

I would be really grateful If you could give me some advice.

Thank you!

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2019 at 9:09pm
It’s likely that you’re missing those things because your existing system is not aligned rather than the choice of boxes
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It’s likely that you’re missing those things because your existing system is not aligned rather than the choice of boxes

While partly true, lets not forget it's only a pair of 18"s. They'll need much more help from the cabinet before it feels like the world is moving.

Doubling up would give +6dB, so long as the amplifier in use can drive the lower impedance.

IME, "bass pressure" is as much about going low as it is about going loud. If the current subs aren't doing the low notes properly, throwing more of them at the situation is unlikely to fix it.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 1:57pm
What size venues do you play in? Also what amp is powering your subs? Personally I think the v18-1000 is a very brutish and powerful driver but won't produce the sub frequencies very well in stacks of 1 or 2 cabinets. In a stack of 6 then yes it will get closer with coupling e.g. loony bins or full sized scoops. Less so with mini scoops as the mouth area is only small anyway
JPF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 1:19pm
Many thanks for your help.
I use them mainly in small venues so far. The amp is Matrix 10k. Which drivers do you think would perform better on the minis?
So it could be that adding a couple of boxes more wont work. Maybe the best would be to wait till I can get 4 full size scoops. In that case I would try to use the minis for the kick section. Would it it be a good idea, has anybody seen a similar configuration?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply