Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Variation of SMT-212

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Variation of SMT-212
    Posted: 29 March 2019 at 10:05am
Good morning all,

I've begun a little project of making an SMT-212 variation.

Its going to feature a single 12 inch section, a stand-alone 8inch section and a 1 inch HF.

bevelled all the 22.5 degree angles the other day, yesterday the 12inch baffle got routed out.

Next up is the cut outs for the horns.

We'll be measuring the output once it's all done and hopefully getting it dialled in.

Probably going to aim for tri-amping, comp choice depending.

Ignore the weird perspective..

sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 5:29pm
Interesting project!
I'm about to start to build another SMT212 variation too, i'm going for the single 12"+ hf driver..
What 12' speaker are you using?
I'm searching for some Eighteensound 12nd710, as Stiper himself suggested as suitable driver.. but they are unluckily out of production, i only found them for sale on Thomann for 300 euros each.
On the other side, two models from new Eighteensound catalogue looks suitable for the job.. i'll choose from 12nd930 and 12nd610.
I see you posted in march.. did you finished your cabs? Looking forward to see them done! Cheers
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 5:43pm
You've actually caught me on a day where I'm back up and running after getting side tracked on a camper van conversion. I've been doing little jobs for the top. Made the handle boxes and they're going to get mounted in in the next week. Annoyingly the 1inch horn I used in the design and planned around has gone out of stock and doesn't look like it will come back either. I'm going to use the RCF LF12g301 i would use the MB12g301 but I want to be able to cross the tops straight into scoops sometimes.

I'll crack on with a few more jobs and get some images soon for an update.
nkdk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 3:48pm
#sushi
The 18s 12nd930 sound very good, but you can use at lot of other drivers, and not that expensive.
In my smt212 i use eminence kappa 12,and rcf n850.
Just go fore high sensitivity >100 db
nkdk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by nkdk nkdk wrote:

#sushi
The 18s 12nd930 sound very good, but you can use at lot of other drivers, and not that expensive.
In my smt212 i use eminence kappa 12,and rcf n850.
Just go fore high sensitivity >100 db
nkdk

12MI100 beyma if you want high sens!
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 12:31pm
Fracture clinic: I actually did consider the option of using MB12G301 (which seems suitable for the SMT) but after a while i decided to spare money to get a pair of 18sound drivers.. just for higher sensibility. now i'm deciding between 12ND710 and the new 12ND610.

Nkdk: i have a pair of kappa 12a! I already planned to give them a try but i was quite sure they were not going to work well inside SMT's small chamber.. how do they sound? Please let me know! Thank you for the advice about Beyma, i'll give a look at the specsheet!

Edited by sushi - 03 September 2019 at 9:06pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

Fracture clinic: I actually did consider the option of using MB12G301 (which seems suitable for the SMT) but after a while i decided to spare money to get a pair of 18sound drivers.. just for higher sensibity. now i'm deciding between 12ND710 and the new 12ND610.

Nkdk: i have a pair of kappa 12a! I already planned to give them a try but i was quite sure they were not going to work well inside SMT's small chamber.. how do they sound? Please let me know! Thank you for the advice about Beyma, i'll give a look at the specsheet!

Both very good drivers, if I were to spend that much I'd pick the 12ND610 out of the two personally.

qts of 0.14 swings it for me.
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 1:52pm
Yeah, that's an interesting point, together with 102db sensibility and 24 BL factor. They are for sure one of the best midrange drivers out right now..
The best thing about that is that here in italy i can get them for about 250euros each, on the contrary the 710's are available only on thomann.de for 300euros each (unless you make a special order directly to 18sound)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

Yeah, that's an interesting point, together with 102db sensibility and 24 BL factor. They are for sure one of the best midrange drivers out right now..
The best thing about that is that here in italy i can get them for about 250euros each, on the contrary the 710's are available only on thomann.de for 300euros each (unless you make a special order directly to 18sound)

Ah I think we have a winner then?

The original driver was SN12B iirc, with a qts of 0.16, BL over 20 and vas of 83

I know the 710 is recommended but all things concidered (higher sens, more similar BL and qts to SN12B, cheaper price and ease of acquisition) the 610 sounds perfect. Some may grumble at the slightly lower xmax, but there's more to life than xmax ;)

I'm really interested to see your SMT develop. I'll grab some pictures of mine soon. Have you built yours?
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 5:24pm
Naah.. still wasting my precious time with my job, been a busy month.
However, i already made all the drawnings with CAD, and started programming the CNC: a friend of mine has the machine in his woodworking company, he's going to help me.. i worked as a carpenter some years ago and have already some experience in building speaker boxes, but this is my first time working on the CNC (i used to bring plans & plywood to my ex-boss, and then assemble everything on my own). I'm buying the wood sheets (250x125 cm) next week, but i don't think the cabs are going to be finished until october. I'll put some pics here!

How many sheets did it take to build yours??
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 6:00pm
As a matter of interest, are you taking the stated sensitivity from the spec sheet or taking it from a  frequency / sensitivity graph?
LOUDER THAN LOUD
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 7:31pm
I saw both of them.. well, the sensitivity rate is a general parameter that have a fascinating power on the buyer, but the graph gave me some better reasons to buy. since i'm going to use the speaker in a midtop cab, crossed at 2.9khz with a horn loaded compression driver, i think it's going to work fine in the frequency range that i need to cover.
Anyway, it's my personal belief that good sounding speakers sound good in real life not only on specsheet. In other words, i would wait until i test them in the cab to say "yea dude 102db forrreal". As long as i heard 18sound speakers are clear sounding powerful and loud, which is why i decided to try them. If the 610 would not satisfy me in the midbass range, when crossed around 200hz with ESW1018, i would use HD15 kick bin for the range between 100-300hz.

Edited by sushi - 03 September 2019 at 8:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>