Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMX and stand-alone/music trig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMX and stand-alone/music trig
    Posted: 03 April 2019 at 8:22pm
Hi all, after DJ-ing (weddings/corporate) for 20 years, I’m finally getting round to getting some of my own moving heads and looking to the world of DMX. 

I’d probably want to use software and a usb/DMX dongle as I already take my computer to gigs and don’t want to lug more kit if I don’t have to 😊

The question I’m wondering about is: is it possible to have something that I can programme a couple of bits, but then after that, the lights just do their thing? For instance, it would be cool to programme the heads to put a spotlight on the dance floor when the bride and groom come for the first dance and then pick the colour of their room theme whilst they do that, but then after the first dance I pretty much just want the lights to go roughly in time with the music and not point backwards at me! I know most lights do sound to light, some better than others, and that’s generally great for what I’m doing, but I’d like the option, for instance, to say to the light “use this colour and this gobo, whilst doing your sound to light thing”. It’s like I want a halfway house - DMX when I want it, but leave it to the light for the majority of the time. 

The listings from one of the lights I was looking at is <url=https://www.chauvetdj.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Intimidator_Spot_155_UM_Rev1_WO.pdf />here 

Does anyone know if there is any software that can cope with this? Thanks as always  

Edited by djgorey - 04 April 2019 at 5:44am
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 11:34pm
Many sound to light units have the option to switch sound to light on and off as well as setting things like sensitivity from the desk. This means you can create a few set pieces and then switch over when needed. Check the dmx channel listings of units you’re interested in and maybe post them up here.
blah blah blah blah blah......
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 5:42am
Brill. Thanks for the tip. I’ve gone back through and had a look at the DMX table for the lights I’m considering (still haven’t decided exactly which ones) and you’re right, one of the DMX channels has “automatic movements and sound to light movements, plus colour and gobo scrolling 

So I’m guessing I can programme in the bits I want and then do another scene(?) with those channels selected and they’ll go off and do it themselves. 

Thank you very much for your help! Problem solved!

Now I’ve just got to decide which lights to get (separate post already up!)
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply