Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2226J Sub Design?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL 2226J Sub Design?
    Posted: 07 April 2019 at 1:28pm
Hello Learned Members -  I've come into a pair of JBL 2226Js and am wondering if they could be a particularly good match in a DIY sub.  The particulars are Fs 40, Qts .31, Vas 175 L, xMax 7.6 mm, BL 27

If there's a compromise to be made... and there always is..  I'd take smaller size over lower Hz.  

Getting down to a strong 40 would be fine.

Thank You!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 2:40pm
JBL will have a design if you google search it. Or use WINISD.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 5:00pm
Cubo 15 ;)
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 5:21pm
uploads/3467/3_JBL.jpg.pdf

Thanks -  JBL has a ported cab suggestion, I've found someone who's used the 2226 in a THAM 15, and as suggested, there is the Cubo - which I've heard is very forgiving toward a variety of speakers.

I modeled the 3 and the sizes are not altogether different.  Could an educated guess be made as to the performance differences?   Thx
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 2:03pm
Build the ported cab...those drivers sound lovely in a reflex box.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 2:06pm
That’s very cool to hear... that’s the smallest, lightest design of the 3.  Cheers!
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 7:52pm
I've got 2226's although I'm using them for low mid/mid sitting on top of Tham 15s. I've built the suggested JBL box as well as one derived from WINISD and the original JBL just played better and got lower and met the THAMs better. I can also use them full range if I need to without any major worry. 

I've modelled them in Horn resp in the Thams as a possible driver for them and on paper they don't look that great in them. I haven't however got around to putting them in as I already have suitable drivers. I think what I'm saying is build the JBL 40 Hz box and you'll be happy. Tongue
blah blah blah blah blah......
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 1:28pm
thx mp -  what sort of power are you pushing the JBLs with?
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:38pm
Well, as the 40 year old amps I'm currently using only push out 190w at 8r, not much! I have an event later in the year where I'll need more juice so I'll revisit this then...
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply