Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/T radio mic problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/T radio mic problem.
    Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:47am
Just bought a used Audio Technica VHF radio mic, it's in lovely condition and checking it tonight it sounded very good.

BUT.  And isn't there always a but, when the mic switch (that's the switch on the base of the mic giving the option of on/mute/off) is turned off while the mic channel is open on the mixer there's an excess of what sounds like white noise.

There's no squelch adjustment on the receiver.

I've had/have a few wireless mics but never an A/T; so before I raise the matter with the seller I'd like to know if this is normal for this brand, or if there's a problem with the mic.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 14 April 2019 at 12:48am
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 2:51am
Have you tried a different frequency tuning?

You could be right ontop of a local TV / radio ...enough to pick up the carrier but not the actual speech??

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:47am
This is normal for all RF mics. It just means you’re in a noisy area. Mute the channel before turning off the mic, or find a frequency that has less noise. Good luck with that in most cities, without the relevant software and tools.

Edited by toastyghost - 14 April 2019 at 3:47am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 9:32am
AT VHF systems were all fixed frequency Kyle, these are not modern UHF units. should be very usable none the less. 

The VHF band is well away from both public broadcast radio or TV so that won't be the issue, nor will competition from theatre etc. White noise = general background noise, likely to be higher in built up areas.

I suspect the squelch level just needs trimming up, this will be a service centre job as I'm fairly certain its an internal trimmer, but its been a few years since i played with one of these.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 10:07am
General rule of thumb with RF is never turn of a belt pack or HH until the Channel is muted.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

General rule of thumb with RF is never turn of a belt pack or HH until the Channel is muted.

Yeah, I almost want there to be a scary noise so they bloody remember to do it
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:01am
I haven't had a VHF radio mic for a long while and the noise quite threw me when it happened.

Many thanx to all of those that replied with assistance.

For the price that I bought it at, it's well worth keeping even if I have to remember to keep my finger ready on the mixer's mute button just in case a user decides to turn it off.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 15 April 2019 at 2:02am
</f
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:12am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Have some cheap (at the time) AKG's that are over 10 years old with an on/mute/off switch on the side (obviously that positioning means that the switch is for live use) and they work brilliantly - main prob that I have had has been some of the switches becoming clicky/noisy over time, and one of the receivers developed a hum which I solved by selling it on eBay to somebody who was certain that he could fix it.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 15 April 2019 at 2:14am
</f
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 8:47am
Have you tried servisoil switch cleaner?

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply