Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid horn (help)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid horn (help)
    Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:32am
Hi,

I'm having a hard time trying to work out how to simulate a design I'm working on. Just wondering if anyone could help?

The idea is to make what I believe to be a 6th order series tuned bandpass hybrid horn. Theory behind it is to use a short horn to cover between 60-150hz and ported chambers to increase the extension to 35hz. 

Here's a drawing:

Edited by luthier - 16 April 2019 at 11:37am
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 12:07pm
I'm hoping to get a 1.2m - 1.6m horn and two chambers into a cabinet around 500L making a single box solution for 35-150hz.  
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:02pm
Sheeeit that is a crazy looking design. Fundamentally, a BP6 couldn't really be horn loaded as (in the usual definition of a BP6) the sound pressure only exits through front/rear chamber ports. If you put a horn flare on one of the ports, it's still really a port, just a bigger one. And if you remove the front or rear chamber and replace with a horn, it's not really a BP6 any more.

What you've drawn there is a horn loaded cabinet with the (rather large) rear chamber ported into a seperate reflex enclosure, with what looks like a direct-radiating driver in it. Is that what you meant? Or should there also be a horn in front of the lower driver?

If you want to get two drivers, a horn and some ports into a box, you could in theory have a horn driven by an isobaric driver pair, with a port in the rear chamber (not the inter-driver chamber). No idea how well that would work, though....
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Sheeeit that is a crazy looking design. Fundamentally, a BP6 couldn't really be horn loaded as (in the usual definition of a BP6) the sound pressure only exits through front/rear chamber ports. If you put a horn flare on one of the ports, it's still really a port, just a bigger one. And if you remove the front or rear chamber and replace with a horn, it's not really a BP6 any more. 

I agree, the sketch looks bizzare ahaha!  

From my uderstanding a flared port becomes a horn once it becomes the size of or larger than the 1/4 wavelength passing through it. If it's smaller than that it's a flared port and potentially a form of waveguide. 

What you've drawn there is a horn loaded cabinet with the (rather large) rear chamber ported into a seperate reflex enclosure, with what looks like a direct-radiating driver in it. Is that what you meant? Or should there also be a horn in front of the lower driver?

Esentially yes but with the second driver either feeding inot thw first horn or a second duplicate horn, it's not meant to be direct radiating (sorry for the confusion).

If you want to get two drivers, a horn and some ports into a box, you could in theory have a horn driven by an isobaric driver pair, with a port in the rear chamber (not the inter-driver chamber). No idea how well that would work, though....

I know bose played around with a BP6 with two chambers in the 90s, which I believe worked well? 

Here's a picture:

Edited by luthier - 16 April 2019 at 3:30pm
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:48pm

Here's an idea of layout, don't look too close. It's rough as.

luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:46pm
Intrested to hear what people think, or if anyone fancies collaborating on a design?

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:48pm

Edited by gen0me - 16 April 2019 at 5:03pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by luthier luthier wrote:

Intrested to hear what people think, or if anyone fancies collaborating on a design?

Tuning of port side affects group delay  on frequencies near lower end of the horn so if the drivers would be loaded unevenly by rear chambers than group delay on the horn sides should dismatch on lower horn frequencies. Never tested though.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:17pm
[/QUOTE]
Was on forum few months ago. Instead of 2 drivers was one.
I dont think 35hz would be realistic with such short horn ~40-45hz f3. I prefer one driver in box as to achive same curve with 2 the box is 35% bigger and with 2nd speaker waay heavier. It needs expensive drivers.
[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you mean when you say it was on the forum a few months ago, I drew this today. 

I know what you mean about the horn length, the idea is to create two bandpass sections tuned in very narrow bandwidths so the horn is only actually working from about 60-65hz.  

I'm planning to use a pair of Faital Pro 18xl 1600.

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by luthier luthier wrote:

Was on forum few months ago.
My mistake. Thought about different layout.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:37pm

Edited by gen0me - 16 April 2019 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply