Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohm BR system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

What about a roof rack? Stands would all be fine and the DJ booth. Even speakers if you invest in covers or a decent tarp.

That's a fantastic idea!  I'm annoyed (but not surprised) that I didn't think of it!  

There's no way I'm lifting my speakers on to the top of my car, but everything else would go.  The bits you mentioned would probably free up enough space to get everything else inside.  I was looking at a trailer, but even second-hand, having to get a tow-bar and sit the driving test means that I'd be looking at a few thousand and I really can't justify based on the number of gigs x the ££ per gig!

Time to hunt eBay for "Volvo 850 roof rack" and "Volvo 850 sized tarp"

Edit after doing some looking...
Thule Easybase looks ok - still need a tow-bar, but you can get a bag, or I can just stack my flight-cases on it and strap them down well.

Further edit:
Roof rails are definitely the best option.  Thank you Markie Clap

Edited by djgorey - 17 May 2019 at 5:39pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

So it turns out that fitting it all in the car is proving trickier than I thought! Tried 3-4 different configurations and going to try a couple of other options tomorrow. 

The gear I’m getting in is:
Speakers
DJ booth in its bag
2 x flightcases with 2 scanners in each
1 x 5U amp-rack
Coffin with 2 cdj’s and a Mixer
Leads box (500x500x300mm)
4 gravity stands lighting stands
2 speaker stands

It’s the second bin that’s doing it, I can get everything if I only take one bin! Luckily, the places where a second bin will make a difference are open 24 hours a day and only 10 minutes from my lock-up so 2 trips is not out of the question!

Not given up yet, but any passengers are definitely going to have something on their lap, let’s hope it’s one of the lighter cases!

i used to run 18" bins  but took up a lot of space and 45+ kg quite big i switched to 15" a lot more compact sound much better with more types of music mite lose a little extension but deffo worth it Big smile 
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by jammin75 jammin75 wrote:

i used to run 18" bins  but took up a lot of space and 45+ kg quite big i switched to 15" a lot more compact sound much better with more types of music mite lose a little extension but deffo worth it Big smile 

Yeah no! I haven’t even plugged in the bins yet so not selling them just yet! I just need some imagination on the packing!
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:06pm
just get a roof box ,they fit on quite easy and you can leave all the stands , booth ect loaded up ,usually cheap on ebay s/h

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:09pm
Check your car license, if you’ve passed your test, you’ll notice you have entitlement to tow an unbraked trailer under 750Kg. Additional test only required for trailers above this gross weight. A small open trailer, like the one linked to below, would be fine to carry a pair of bins, with a tarpaulin over them. Tow bar and used trailer should be doable for £500 ish.

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:10pm
are u usin front seat and foot well ?? 
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by jammin75 jammin75 wrote:

are u usin front seat and foot well ?? 

Naturally!

I’m checking my licence now
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Check your car license, if you’ve passed your test, you’ll notice you have entitlement to tow an unbraked trailer under 750Kg. Additional test only required for trailers above this gross weight. A small open trailer, like the one linked to below, would be fine to carry a pair of bins, with a tarpaulin over them. Tow bar and used trailer should be doable for £500 ish.

Yes, I can 😊
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

What about a roof rack? Stands would all be fine and the DJ booth. Even speakers if you invest in covers or a decent tarp.

Hehe, that jogged my memory. 

Back in the 60s when I lived in Ealing, West London, I remember a DJ (not even sure that I knew his name at the time, deffo not now) doing the Feathers in Ealing Broadway.

End of the night he loaded up and then put two Selmer Goliath 18" bins onto the roofrack of his Jaguar mk2, and drove off with the car swaying from side to side.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:06am
Oh that’s pure class! My car is nowhere near as cool as a Mk II
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Yes, I can 😊

In fact, you are right on the switchover point!! If you passed your test before January 1997, you should have category B+E which entitles you to pull a “heavy” braked trailer. In fact even if you passed after January 97, you still can, so long as the gross train weight is under 3500Kg. Doing a quick look up, your 850 has a gross weight of around 2100Kg (check this first), so you could still, theoretically (again check the specs of your particular variant) tow a 1400Kg trailer, with your license!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:37am
Annoyingly, I passed my test in October 1999. 

Even so, I don’t think anything that big. A trailer that is just big enough to get the bins in would be perfect. I can leave them in the trailer in the garage and just hook it up when I need to use them. Everything else easily fits in the car. Plus a tow-bar is just analogue parking sensors. 

My brain has been working on it overnight and I have another plan to try this morning (and it’s not “swap the car for a Transit”. I made that mistake with my SAAB 9000)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>