Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohm BR system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 10:34pm
Thank you. I’m looking forward to using it. I’ve been using my mates slightly knackered HK Actor rig for the last couple of years so looking forward to having my own rig again (and having proper control over my amps). 

I’ve never had an LMS unit before, other than the Spektra crossover for my ASS and that was just had an LPF and some gain controls so that’ll be something I need to learn how to use. When I’ve got all the speakers, i’ll drop Ohm an e-mail and see if there’s any settings they recommend for the set-up
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:49am
One of my favourite nightclubs uses an old (mid 90's) BR system with Crest top amps and Crown 5000 bottom amps and a BSS in between. Sounds as awesome now as it did when installed.

The only weak point will be the Behringer ultradrive, I've heard many tales of 'transformative' results when a nice system is treated to a more upmarket processor.

As always, the quality of the source material is crucial.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:01pm
Well I picked up the bins today and they are in lovely condition so very happy. As I loaded them into the car, it also confirmed I was right not to go for a pair of TRS-218’s!
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:34pm
Yeah... you’re generally not getting a pair of TRS218’s in a car...

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:53pm
The challenge now is to see whether I can fit my whole disco rig, including the bins. I’m not expecting to be able to, but I got bins and tops in a Renault 5 once so we’ll see. It might take a few attempts
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:34pm
When I used to use the car for gigs I called it 'Precision loading', being good at Tetris helps...

Co-incidentally, years ago before I had a licence me and a mate would travel to gigs in his Renault 5, into it we could fit; A pair of 15+8+1's, a 4u amp rack, cd deck/mixer console, a pair of light boxes, four or five effects lights, T-bar, smoke machine, a case of leads and I would have cases of discs under my feet and on my lap. Good times.Smile  

Edit; I've just noticed you're also in South Wales djgorey, whereabouts?

Edited by njw - 27 April 2019 at 10:37pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:17pm
Precision loading is exactly what it is! Comes in handy when moving house too - only my dad is better at packing a van (we moved house about 15 times when I was growing up). When I’ve got it all, i’ll spend some time packing and re-packing to get the best fit. Luckily, my boot is cuboid (Volvo 850 T-5 Estate). 

Yeah, I’m in Newport. You?
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:31pm
I'm up in Ebbw Vale doing all the 'rough and ready' valleys gigs. LOL  

...I've had the system in a local 'club' for the last few weeks, sticky carpets, no drinks on tap, underage drinkers and a landlord shiftier than a shifty thing...

...It's bloody good fun though.Big smile

Edited by njw - 27 April 2019 at 11:37pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:55am
We’ve got our share of venues like that! But the only gig I’ve had stopped early because of a fight was in a nice hotel.  

I don’t think anybody would be interested in my rig in the “show off your sound system” thread, but maybe we could start a new one called “show off your packing skills”!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:55pm
Slight update, following some advice from some people who know more than me, running the tops with a Matrix XT3000 and the bins with an XT5000.   
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

Slight update, following some advice from some people who know more than me, running the tops with a Matrix XT3000 and the bins with an XT5000.   

Running any box on more than capable/larger amps is good, headroom is always welcome. However, when you need more output, it is always best to have multiple boxes rather than pushing a few to their limits. If this last bit is what you're considering, you can do it but you have to be mindful of the rig's limits and have enough knowledge to prevent any damage both short and long term.
You are more likely to have damage with smaller amps though, as clipping is far more dangerous than over-feeding a clean signal.
I don't know the details of the amps or boxes you've mentioned, so I can't really give a final advice. I'd say it might be good for future upgrades and won't hurt in your current situation, only downside is it will cost some more.
Now that you know the benefits put those and the extra cost on a scale, then figure out which weighs the most to you.
Bass =/= Enough
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:41pm
Quote Yeah, I’m in Newport.

I was once involved in an install with OHM at a bar in Blackwood
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>