FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new tops
    Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:20pm
tidy build, would be great to see some frequency response measurements

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
singingfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:49pm
12" EV dvx3120 rear facing sealed, horn loaded low mid driver.
2x 6.5 inch B+C Neo dvn2065 Mids in flare robbed from EV dvx line array and split above and below a shortened CD horn for 70 degree horizontal.

loaded like this, the mids play up to pretty high frequency nicely, so my thinking led me to shorten the HF horn as it doesn't have to really do anything below nearly 5kHz and has an easy time of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Airguitarchampion Airguitarchampion wrote:

Wow really nice work!  Can you share any details / modelling parameters about the DVX 12" woofers?  

I basically matched the volume of cab that EV specced for these on the zx3s they were pilfered from. then I designed as long a horn as I could feasibly fit in a compact 3way cab that could use the B+C mids and ND2 comps effectively.
I wanted them to have a good fast kick and play down to 110Hz to integrate with the sound of the 1850 horns without reflex loading.
They are very percussive and fast loaded like this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:37pm
(a whole year later)
The back of the phase plugs have an untidy cavity of about 12mm deep to the flat rear disc of the spinner.
I could fill them with car body filler I guess but I sincerely don't think the shallow space effects much.
open to ideas though.
...whether to fill them and make them reflect back on the dome of the mid driver or use flightcase foam to fill them and damp a bit.
The response from these mids is seriously fast and has real bite. they don't sound harsh though.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:35pm
These look really great, excellent work! Clap
I have questions about the back of your phase plugs. Specifically, what's going on with the back of your phase plugs? Did you put some filler in there or leave them hollow?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:47pm
Nice job Clap
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:31pm
very nice tops Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:04pm
Yes - good to see that the spirit of DIY is still alive on here!  Clap

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:32am
Cracking design and build there, great effort.
Airguitarchampion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airguitarchampion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:19pm
Wow really nice work!  Can you share any details / modelling parameters about the DVX 12" woofers?  
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:53pm
very complete project!

i reckon you should build 4 more 1850s though, stack 3 high a side, get your mid highs up above head height where they should be, then play the duke ellington again.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 7:36pm
fantastic job! Loving the thought and the work you've put into these.  They look great. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>