Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:19pm
Then began the cutting and laying up.

these mitres get 'interesting' don't they.

I had to adapt things a bit as problems showed themselves

and if your saw isn't quite true it makes things even more 'arts and crafts

singingfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:21pm
Things started to come together and I really needed the extra pair of hands from my lovely partner.
You hold it and I'll hit it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:23pm
First wave of screw and glue completed.
Thank feck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:31pm
after a lot of routing I test fitted everything before fitting mounting strips inside for the interior removable baffles and the mid-high waveguides.
I had to use Penn Elcom corner handles as there's not enough room on the sides for normal recessed grabs.
I love how they look but they aren't as easy to handle as the traditional jobbies.

The routing detail on the edges serves three purposes:
1. - It looks cool (I Think)
2. - It means I can make a strong cab from 15mm ply but use large radius handles
3. - The front top and bottom ones are guides to centre 2" ratchet straps to hold on front wheelboards in transit (to follow)

munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:37pm
Awesome Clap
the midtops!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:38pm
The ropey black paint above is acryllic spray to give the cab paint a good base over the polyester filler and hopefully make dings less visible as they happen in use. The black spray soaks right into the grain.

Here's how the DVX driver goes in.
There's bugger all spare space for owt, so handles form part of the baffle seal.
I had to seal all the handle welds and pressing tolerance gaps with black silicone as the this part of the cab is fully sealed to give the cabs 'kick'
The interior baffle is removable (obvs), sealed and braced.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:46pm
Here's my Lovely partner in crime helping me calibrate them and enjoy some duke ellington and dubstep.
I made these to sit on my 1850 horns and designed them to look like they belong there.
They need just a little more tweaking with the dsp and I've put too much lagging in the 12" sealed cab sections but They really do kick and have amazing clarity and definition.
I think the sound is very engaging and snares, guitars, pianos and horns  really shine.
I think this is mostly due to the B+C mids which really are a bit special. I reckon.

All in all, we're well happy we managed this and these cabs will work hard through this summer outdoors. I think they're well up to the job.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:56pm
wow, very nice work! 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:08pm
Excellent work Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:35pm
My company: Armer Sound and Light Ltd., Caters for theatre and gigs up to about 500 people before we rent in bigger gear.
I conceived these to try and achieve high powered Hi Fi with enough throw to go about 30 metres.
The Amp rack seems to work comfortably to make this rig stretch its legs but I think I need another dsp to tidy up the sound from the 1850s and make it integrate better.
The bottom two P7000 amps in the rack are for the 1850s, one for each in bridge mode.
The 18dB crossovers in these amps don't have enough slope though so another driverack will be going in it.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:34am
Looks good, not a a massive fan of the handle placement though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:39am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

Looks good, not a a massive fan of the handle placement though.

Yeah. I hear you.
I thought long and hard about where they could actually fit and the only other answer was to make the cabs bigger or rethink the horn layout.
I even made router jigs for 4 way cut out handles before I abandoned the idea. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>