Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meyer Sound amps.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meyer Sound amps.
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:08am
I have just picked up a fully working (apparently) Meyer Sound MS1000 amp.

It is very very heavy, more so than PPX1600's spec sheet says it is 98lb...lol.

Manuals lab have specs ect for them. But has anyone had or used these before and able to offer any info on them performance wise please. Mine is heavily battle scarred and in desperate need of a good deep clean.

I will attempt to post some pics of the internals once I get the top off.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:38am
I used to own two of these quite a few years ago.

One had front panel mounted volume pots, the other did not as they were actually an optional extra!

Sound wise they were fine. Heavy amps(3u),and quite deep physically.

They may be wired "pin 3 hot".

I did have a problem with one of them. I was using it at an event where I was present and in the middle of the gig the fault light came on and output was lost on both channels.

I reset the mains breaker on the amp and it was fine for the rest of the gig.

This happened again at another gig a few weeks later.

The amp was checked over internally (owners manual including circuit diagrams are on the internet) and no fault was found.

I sold both amps maybe ten years ago.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 9:51am
I used the one I have for the first time over the weekend. Initial switch on gave out some very strange noises. Switch off and on again and it seemed ok, I was thinking that it may have been the caps charging as it has been sat for quire some time.

Then it ran fine for several hours. I left it switched on doing nothing and after maybe 5 hours it sounded like a rasping sound, bit like the cards we used to put in our spokes as kids and blew the extension lead...
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 6:06pm
Both of the MS1000 that I owned made a strange "clanking" noise when they were switched on. So I would discount this as an indication as to what the fault is.

Maybe, as you state that the fuse in your extension lead blew, it could be worth checking the bridge rectifier.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 6:36pm
A transformer driving a short circuit will make an angry 50Hz electrical buzzing sound, not a sound like a card in bicycle spokes - maybe a piece of debris got caught in the fan blades, and then something overheated? Also if it was the transformer making that noise, it would be unlikely to make it for long enough for you to notice, before the fuse blew. Unless someone put in a bigger fuse/nail ;)

A "clonk-hrrmmmmmm" at startup is normal for amps without soft-start, it is caused by the inrush current. The wire in the transformer moves/vibrates and this causes the noise.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 8:32pm
Thank you guys, maybe I should just get it serviced by someone who knows what they are doing...
 Post Reply Post Reply