Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EVX 180B project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EVX 180B project.
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:19pm
Hello Guys.

Just got a small job Today.
Build 3 single 18" cabs, loaded with EVs EVX 180B driver, as they are allready sitting in Stock. 

Only one requirement. The cabs are going to sit under a stage. 47cm from floor to underside. So not the best size for a 18" box.

But actually EV has made something that would fit. 
The QRx-118S.
Would that be a good way to go? I got plans for them, so not Hard to build them. 
I know there have been used EV T18 (DL18 loaded) before with fine results. But they are gone and new cabs will be placed under the stage instead of on the side of the stage.

Are the drivers even worth using Today? Not the most powerfull ones, but they have a Nice sound. 
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:49am
evx 180b not the best driver but not bad either.  Tiny 2.5" voice coil but that's the way EV has made many bass drivers - and they do the job. They sound good.   After all it all depends how much SPL is required..  180B should give a little better performance compared to DL18MT. 

QRX-118s has tilted front baffle to reduce size, you may also think about slot loading or something like that. 

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:52am
Evx180b has a 4" coil 🙂

SPL requirements are a bit difficult to say.
The system do many kinds of gigs. 

Different kinds of live bands, with full instrumental rigs. 
Drums, guitars, bass, keyboards and vocals all mic'd up. 
Next Day it could be a DJ doing Mainstream and EDM. 

So both live and playback. 

The place has a capacity of 300 People maximum. But dancefloor Only supports about 100. Max!

There are 4 EV Sx300E locate around the dance floor, and 6 Sx100 floating around in the corners of the seating areas.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:56am
The 180B only has 6,4 mm Xmax, using a driver with +-12mm Xmax would result in +6dB output. You would need 2 of those to replace 4 180B drivers. If the 180B drivers have to be used, go for it. If not, I would look for different drivers.

Also what kind of amplifiers are available?

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

The 180B only has 6,4 mm Xmax, using a driver with +-12mm Xmax would result in +6dB output. You would need 2 of those to replace 4 180B drivers. If the 180B drivers have to be used, go for it. If not, I would look for different drivers.

Also what kind of amplifiers are available?

The Evx180b is not a requirement. But I got them in Stock. Actually got 10 Haha LOL
The most important issue is the height under the stage. Thats why a design like QRx 118s are perfect Smile

Amps are a mix of EV Q66 for the Sx100, and Dynacord L1600 and L2400 for main PA. One of each. 

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:44am
Just angle the baffle enough to fit the box under the stage. It can be done more efficiently then the RX118 imho.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:05am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Evx180b has a 4" coil 🙂

Oh well, just looked datasheet twice and indeed they say it has 4 inch coil.. however thiele small parameters says coil diameter of 2.5 inches and winding length = 26.9meters, yes, 88feet!:D
So there is something wrong. 
In reality it does have 4" coil indeed. If other specs are real, it's not bad driver.

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Just angle the baffle enough to fit the box under the stage. It can be done more efficiently then the RX118 imho.

I have thought of making some double 18 with angled baffle. Like Qrx118s, but two drivers and two ports. But what driver to choose is then a good question. Good Sound quality is more important than SPL.
The four T18 that used to play there, never ran full tilt.

I used to run some dual 18BR years ago, with evx180b and a couple of cabs with Fane Colossus 18XB.
Never had a driver go silent, and they had a Nice fat and deep sound to them.
SPL was not a problem back then. But I was younger and pleased my inner nerd by hauling around double the amount of boxes needed to do the job Haha LOL

I like the sound of Evx180b, but Yes, compared to more modern drivers, it cant keep up when SPL is the name of the game Smile
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:18am
I installed two Qrx118s at a Church here in Maine. Three EV 15/horn overhead. Sounds real good. Solid bass.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Hello Guys.

Just got a small job Today.
Build 3 single 18" cabs, loaded with EVs EVX 180B driver, as they are allready sitting in Stock. 

Only one requirement. The cabs are going to sit under a stage. 47cm from floor to underside. So not the best size for a 18" box.

But actually EV has made something that would fit. 
The QRx-118S.
Would that be a good way to go? I got plans for them, so not Hard to build them. 
I know there have been used EV T18 (DL18 loaded) before with fine results. But they are gone and new cabs will be placed under the stage instead of on the side of the stage.

Are the drivers even worth using Today? Not the most powerfull ones, but they have a Nice sound. 

The Electro-voice EVX 180 was Electro-voice premium driver for 30 years and used solely for the touring market. Electro-voice follows one principal. Design a minimum amount of good drivers, create enclosures around the particular driver in question and, sell the enclosure to the public.

The specifications for Revision B (EVX 180B) were never released. The specification sheet showing the EVX 180B is actually revision A (EVX 180A). Revision B is a complete different driver from a TS Parameters perspective. The EVX 180 B was designed to work best in a reflex cabinet and offers adequate results in their patented Manifold Designs (T-18 and so forth).

I own 24 Electro-voice EVX 180 B drivers and feed each driver 1250 watts RMS with no issues whatsoever. I have a friend that feeds each of his EVX 180 B woofers 1700 watts RMS in which, the drivers handle with no issues in their Electro-voice MTL 1X cabinets.

Anyone who owns an abundance of Electro-voice speakers knows their power ratings are very conservative and never worry about xmax. It is only those who do not own Electro-voice speakers become perplexed on their xmax figures. You can copy any of the Electro-voice designs that Electro-voice housed the EVX 180 B and get good results. The only thing you need to keep in mind is the smaller the enclosure, the lower the chances of achieving an extended bass response.       

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 08 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Elliot Thompson
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:57am
I have 16 X-Subs. They are loaded with the 180's and they rock.

Quite low profile too, could be a design worth considering?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:20pm
From what you just told me Elliott, i will keep my initial idea of Qrx 118s and load up some evx180b drivers.

Nothing more to be said there Smile

You got some good knowledge regarding EV. Thanks for sharing 🙂

But one question.. Is the EVX 180B discontinued or still in production? Not many dealers have them anymore.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>