Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recycling cabinets. A good idea?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recycling cabinets. A good idea?
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:51am
Just a thought... with the ever increasing enviromental issues, just wondered if it's really a good idea to be building new cabinets, (new plywood = more trees felled) surely the way forward would be to recycle/refurbish older stuff?

I have allways made the effort to source off-cuts of ply from builders skips,which of course, would otherwise have ended up in landfill, have managed to build 16 hf horn cabinets over the years from old offcuts.

Wondered if anyone else has similar thoughts?

Let us know if you have managed to re-cycle older cabs,or source waste ply and turn it into a speaker. The less new sheets of 8x4 we use the better really. Thumbs Up
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:09am
Well Mucker uses 802's as plant-pot and wine bottle holders. Does that count? Wink

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:10pm
I often chop up old cabinets to use as shelving or planters. And when it comes to building new cabs I'm try to use scraps from others for bracing, smaller panels, grills etc.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:26pm
My old wardrobe scoops were built from shutter wood panels used to board up shops after the Leicester riots.
That's pretty good recycling! Thanks Leicester council...
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:13pm
Our local DIY-shop saws to order and sells the remaining wood at  40% discount.  I think 90% of the wood i use comes from that stash. It’s even nicely sorted by measurement: smallest size they keep is 20x20cm so almost nothing gets thrown away. They also stash plexi, trespa and so on. Recycling avant la lettre; they started it in the 80’s

Edited by Bams - 11 May 2019 at 9:17pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:20pm
Ive got a facebook 'friend' who at the end of his theatre tour, puts his old props up as FOC so he doesnt have to store them 
Ive had a load of decent ply and castors from him in the past thats made it into my cabinets Thumbs Up
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

My old wardrobe scoops were built from shutter wood panels used to board up shops after the Leicester riots.
That's pretty good recycling! Thanks Leicester council...

Highfields, 1981?

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:35pm
One way to do it is to rescue classic vintage cabinets and rebuild them to original (or upgrade to better than original) working order. There have been some really good examples reported on SP over the years.

A lot of this stuff is only sold off by hire companies because the marketeers have done their best to make it "unfashionable" and therefore no longer rider-friendly. Or replaced in installations because somebody has demonstrated a new system which sounded better than the old one that's had most of the drivers thrashed to death and never been maintained.

It's easier than building from scratch, and if the box hasn't fallen to bits after 25 years' touring, it's probably going to be good for another 25!

Edited by madboffin - 11 May 2019 at 10:36pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:12am
Madboffin - what brands would you recommend for this type of thing? I was think along similar lines not long back but have no idea what makes/models were decent 20/30 years ago. Crap wood and glue is still crap wood and glue no matter when and where its from.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:20am

In the States, powered speakers are now the standard. It is rare to find a manufacture that is not producing some means of a powered speaker to the consumer market. This leads to thousands of stand alone amplifiers in addition to, passive speakers being sold on eBay. For those who choose to build passive full range and/or top cabinets based on budget constraints, it really does not make logical sense any more.

QSC is known today as a powered loudspeaker company with their standalone non-dsp amplifiers looked upon as a novelty item. Even Peavey has discontinued their whole slew of power amplifiers with the exception of the IPR2 Series years ago. As for Crown, they incorporate their amplifiers in JBL and, focus on the install market with their drive core topology.

There are lots of sound companies that are literally willing to accept very low prices just to get their old passive boxes out of their warehouse. Some are loaded with functional speakers whereas others are partially loaded or with blown components. Many just gut out the components, destroy the boxes and, sell the loudspeakers/crossovers on eBay.

I have always upgraded drivers in my sub cabinets throughout the decades to more capable components to achieve what I was seeking in terms of performance.  However, toting old sub cabinets are more acceptable in the eye of the beholder (clients) than old full-range/top boxes. Once you leave a particular market, you will have to the leeway to do as you please. For those who are not planning to leave, you either adapt or die.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:33am
I used to recycle my prototypes where possible, i.e. carving out a larger horn throat to measure it's influence.

My column drill stand is an old prototype cabinet, as is my table saw stand.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Madboffin - what brands would you recommend for this type of thing? I was think along similar lines not long back but have no idea what makes/models were decent 20/30 years ago. Crap wood and glue is still crap wood and glue no matter when and where its from.

The quality ones...vintage Martin Audio, ASS, Mega, Tasco-Harwell are a few of the names, also vintage Turbosound can be bought for sensible prices nowdays.

Just assume you are buying an empty cabinet, as any 30-year old drivers inside will be either dead or dying,and repair, sand and re-finish the cabs,and load with new or reconed drivers to suit.

Wherever possible i would replace any old woodscrews/fittings with new ones too.

The result will be a cabinet that is every bit as good and as solid as a new one.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>