Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

uPol raptor textured coating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: uPol raptor textured coating
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Long time, no forum visit (been doing other hobbies).... Anyway, I thought this might be worth posting up. Put together a pair of bookshelf horns to a friends design (and he cut them for me on his cnc) that use the Mark Audio Pluvia7 driver.

Decided I wanted a textured coating finish and didn't want to buy another product so use the uPol raptor liner I had in stock from my car projects.

Applied over cellulose sanding sealer, 2 coats with a Titan HVLP turbine system with a 2.2mm nozzle. Because it is a catalyzed product it's dry overnight (or shorter if you use fast 2k hardener)...

HughF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:03pm
IMHO, well worth a look if you after a tuff-cab type finish that doesn't take a week to dry - and can be tinted to any colour you want. I buy it untinted and tint it to suit with cheap 2k gloss
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:35pm
Was looking at the raptor liner for a cabinet coating. (ended up going with warnex tho)
The finish looks good and is undoubtably hard wearing 

How much dose it differ to stone chip paint? they recommend using; what looks like to me, a stone chip gun.

how do you think it compares to Polyurea?

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
HughF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Raptor is a 2k stonechip, so it dries much faster and tougher than regular stonechip like gravitex - it's also tintable.

I don't have an air compressor, so I spray it with a HVLP turbine that will spray cement if you ask it to, it has a 1/8 nozzle :) I have sprayed it with a shutz gun before and that gives a rouher finish.

This is polyurethane, a standard isocyanate cured 2 component polyurethane, like regular 2k car paint or 2k clear. Airfed mask required...

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:28pm
yeah, I bought some a while ago now and have been waiting for a chance to use it, couple of things over the summer that I'm gonna give it a go with. 

I did have an experienced speaker builder tell me that he likes it, but when you mix it as the instructions it dries a touch too hard. He says he finds if he puts a fraction less hardener in it retains a little touch more flexibility and bends with the wood etc. 

Either way looks like a good hard wearing finish.

K
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:53pm
We have been using it for while now, it's very good.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:32pm
Did you sand it first? 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:17pm
so sand the cab,  sanding sealer then this straight over that? No primer?
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:45pm
I recently used some similar stuff on my car https://www.hbbody.com.gr/product/?pid=390 and have been thinking about using it on speakers.

I used a schultz gun on some areas, this gives a very thick rough finish, and requires skill (that I don't have) to get an even finish. For the more visible areas I added some thinner and used a 1.8mm gravity fed gun, this gives a finer finish but still has a texture, and is easier to control. It can also be applied by roller.

It is Isocyanate 2k, so make sure you read the safety sheet.
Blahblahblah
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:15am
Iv done my van in this recently too . came out really well. Its tough too! like x 100 times tougher than tuffcab anyways! 

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 5:21pm
Over the last few years I have painted a few cabs in this. just buying the multi packs from tinternet that have the gun and just plug into a compressor. Great finish.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
HughF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:30am
What I did: 

rotrex sand with 180 grit, blow off with airline. Cellulose sanding sealer and straight on with the raptor when the cellulose had flashed off.

To be fair, I was in a rush and could have sanded some more.

Edited by HughF - 22 May 2019 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply